Chapter 8: not puppy love

Jules

~~~~~~~~

This is the most awkward thing that I've ever experienced. How could there be so much tension in one room?

Watching Brennen's heartbreak in front of me because of another girl hurts like a bitch. It's the same as putting your hand on a burning stove, that'd probably hurt less than this.

We all watch Gilmore Girls in silence but I keep taking glances at the three of them. Garrett and Taylor were cuddled up together while Brennen sat next to them stiff as a rock. I've never seen him like this, except the time he met my parents.

"Would you like some more bread, Brennen?" Mom asks from the head of the table.

I look at Brennen from across the table and he's staring down at his untouched food. I hold in my laugh as I watch him, he's adorable.

"Brennen?" Mom asks again.

I give him a little kick from under the table which finally makes him zone back into reality.

"Bread?" He asks my mom.

She smiles and nods.

"Sure." he smiles.

She passes him the bowl of bread and he grabs one and stuffs it into his mouth. I giggle as I look at him. He looks at me with a piece of bread filling his entire mouth.

He smiles and I feel myself fall for him harder.

"So Brennen, do you know what you wanna do after highschool?" He asks, sternly.

My father was probably one of the top scariest people in the world. He should be featured in the Conjuring or something.

Brennen quickly chews his food and swallows before clearing his throat to speak.

"Uh, I want to continue to play hockey, that's for sure." He explains.

I smile, his love for hockey was amazing. I've never seen someone enjoy it the way he does.

"Hockey?" My dad scoffs.

I look at my father as he chuckles.

"Dad." I warn.

He looks back at Brennen who was stiff in his seat.

"You want to go professional?" My father asks.

Brennen nods, "Yes, sir." He answers.

My dad laughs this time.

I looked at my mom who was shaking her head.

"Hockey is a hobby, son. Not a profession." My dad says.

I roll my eyes at him.

"It can be a professional job." I corrected him.

He looks at me.

"But it won't get you anywhere." He tells me.

I looked at Brennen who looked like he wanted to denigrate.

"What if you're not good enough?" My father asks him.

"He is good enough. He's amazing at it." I say.

"Okay, so you're good. What if you have a serious injury and can't play? What then? Huh? You have no career, so what will you do?" My dad questions Brennen.