Chapter 29: i love her

Brennen

~~~~~~~~

I lay in bed, where I've been for the past 3 days. I felt sick, I was trying to convince myself I had a cold or something but I knew I didn't. I was anxious about Jules. No one knew where she was, I'd been in and out of the police station for questioning, and I was the last person who saw her which was even worse. It made me look terrible. But I wouldn't do anything to hurt her.

There's a knock at my door but I don't move, I just stare at the same wall that I've been staring at this entire time.

"Brennen," I hear my sister's voice.

"If you're gonna yell at me again, leave. I'm not doing round two." I tell her, my eyes still on the wall.

"I had every right to be mad at you, Brennen. I trusted you, to keep her safe." She says.

I roll my eyes, "Go away, Norah." I snap.

She sighs, "Dinner's ready." She says.

"I'm not hungry." I say.

"Fine." She replies before I hear her walk out, slamming the door behind her.

I was falling to pieces, I could feel my whole world crumbling and I couldn't stop it.

There's another knock at my door.

"Go away, Norah!" I yell.

The door opens, "It's not Norah." I hear my mom's voice.

I finally turn and look at her. She gave me a sad smile, she was holding a plate of food. I sigh as I sit up in bed.

"I'm not hungry, Mom." I tell her.

"This is for me." She says.

I knew she was lying but I didn't push it.

She places the food on my nightstand before she sits next to me on the bed. She looks at me and smiles as she brushes my hair back.

"Don't be mad at your sister, she's just as upset as you are. She loved her too." She tells me.

"I know." I say as I look down into my lap..

"It's not your fault. You couldn't have done anything." She says.

"I could've stayed out there with her." I say as tears fill my eyes.

"You didn't know, Brennen. How could you?" She asks.

I shrug.

"I miss her, Mom." I choke out.

"I know you do, honey." She says as she pulls me to her.

I rested my head in her lap and let everything out.

"I don't want anything to happen to her." I cry.

"She'll be okay, she'll come back." She says as she rubs my back.

I cried for a while in her lap, and then all the tears just stopped. I hugged my mom tightly, before she told me to eat, so we sat there as she fed me my dinner like I was a little kid. But I didn't care, I needed my mom, but I needed Jules more.

"Lick this." Julianna says as she shoves a spoon full of brownie batter in my face.

I chuckle before licking it, "Yum." I smile.