Chapter 27: my family.

Brennen

~~~~~~~~

I don't think I've ever been this nervous for a game. It was my first one since my injury, I've been playing fine during practices but the game was different. It wouldn't be easy, I stare at the ice as I watch the rest of my teammates play while I sit on the bench. Coach wanted me to play but I was too anxious. I stared at the ice and my heart raced faster and faster, all I could hear was the sound when I hit the ice and the pain I felt in my leg.

It was sickening. I was afraid the second I got onto that ice and into my position my knee would fail me.

I close my eyes and try everything in my power to not think about that day. That pain, the silence that filled the rink, my teammates scared looks.

"Welcome to Rowan University's hockey team. You all are here because you've proven that you are worthy to play for this team. These next four years, you will prove that you are cut out for real-world hockey." Coach Cal says as all my new teammates and I stand in a straight line on the ice.

I was so anxious. I knew college hockey wouldn't be the same as highschool hockey but I was afraid I wasn't worthy. But there was only one way to find out.

"These next four years will define your future career in hockey, some of you will make it, and some of you won't. It's up to you to decide that." Coach Cal lectures.

I felt like I was about to vomit. I was good at hockey, I loved it, it was my dream to play in the NHL. I knew I had to work and fight hard.

"Alright, we're gonna go down the line and everyone will introduce themselves. I'm not doing icebreakers, those are stupid." Coach says.

I try not to smile, I hated icebreakers.

"Jason."
"Tony."

"Harry."
"Micheal."
"Garrett."

"Jake."

"Chris."

"Brennen." I say.

Coach nods.

"Alright, we'll start with some drills." He says.

We do drills and then Coach goes over some techniques and gives us more lectures before practice ends. We all made our way into the locker room and some of the guys were already becoming friends, but my quiet ass couldn't say a word to them the entire practice. I was probably gonna be playing with them for the rest of my college years, I had to become friends with some of them.

I sit down on the bench in between the lockers and begin taking my skates off when I think Garrett sits down next to me.

"Brennen, right?" He asks.

"Yeah, Garrett, right?" I reply.

He nods.

"You nailed those drills out there today." I say.

"Thanks, man. So did you." He smiles.

"Dude, Coach Cal is on something." Another guy says as he sits down next to Garrett.

"I want what he's on." another appears next to me.

Garrett chuckles.

"This is Jake and Chris. Guys, this is Brennen." Garrett says.