Chapter 24: couldn't trust me

Jules

~~~~~~~~

I breathe in his scent and try to replace all the bad moments in this room with this sweet, wholesome one but it all gets ruined by the bedroom opening to reveal my mother.

I pulled away from Brennen and stared at my mother who was looking at us, furiously.

"Julianna." She says.

I stand up and turn to her.

"Mother." I say, wiping my tears.

She looks at Brennen as he gets up and stands next to me.

"Mom, you remember Brennen." I say.

I could see her anger build up more and more each second.

"What the hell is he doing here, Julianna?" She asks.

"I invited him." I say.

"Who told you that you could invite this imbecile?" She snaps.

"You didn't say I couldn't." I reply.

"Downstairs now, both of you." She says before she turns around walks away.

I looked at Brennen who looked like he was shitting himself.

"It's fine. Come on." I tell him.

We both walk back downstairs and I see my father and mother standing in the corridor by the front door with all of our friends.

Oh shit.

Brennen and I join them and I watch my father as he stares at Brennen in shock.

"Brennen Bartels." He says.

Brennen stares at my father in fear. It was uncomfortable to watch.

"Julianna, who the hell are all these people?" My dad asks.

"My friends." I say.

"Well, they're not welcome, especially him." He says as he looks at Brennen.

"I don't see why it's such a big problem, they aren't doing anything." I tell him.

"They aren't welcome, Julianna." He repeats.

"They didn't do anything wrong." Brennen speaks up.

My father looks at Brennen and glares.

"They might've not done anything wrong, but you've been making mistakes since you stepped into this house 5 years ago." He snaps.

"Back off, Dad." I snap back at him.

"Don't you talk back to me, Julianna. What were you thinking bringing him here like this?" He yells.

All the guests start whispering as they look at the scene in front of them.

"It wasn't his fault, what happened that night happened for a reason. Brennen had nothing to do with it." I tell him.

My father scoffs at me, "Don't be so naive, Julianna. You were with him that night, for all I care, he was the reason." He says.

"Rot in hell." I snap.

Gasps fill the room.

"Jules." Norah says.

"How dare you talk to me that way? To your own father?" He yells.

"Pete, stop." Mom says as she places her hand on his arm.