Chapter 10: he was the right choice

Jules

~~~~~~~~

I stare at my resume and frown. It was ass. I've been staring at it for the last hour and it's still ass.

I groan as I place my head down on the desk. Shoot me.

I hear movement behind me, I turn around in my chair and see Brennen start to wake up.

He groans as he sits up and looks around the room.

"Morning, sleeping beauty." I say.

"Why am I in your room?" He asks.

"You were drunk and cried." I say.

His face turns red. He cried a lot, he cried in my arms about another girl. It was painful to watch. How could he cry about not being enough when all this time I was here? He was more than enough for me.

"Sorry." He speaks up.

I stare at him.

I don't know what to say or do. He was everything I wanted but he was in love with someone else.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask.

He looks at me and runs his hand through his hair.

"It was nothing." He says.

I sigh and nod.

He didn't deserve this, he deserved so much better.

"What are you doing there?" He asks, looking at my laptop.

I groan.

"I'm trying to write this stupid resume for The Grill but it's ass." I explain.

"Why do you even need this job?" He asks.

"Because I'm dead broke." I tell him.

"Your parents are rich. You are not broke." He points out.

"Yeah, well, I hate my parents. And the last thing I want is their money." I say.

He looks at me.

"So you're going to work with Taylor, huh?" He asks.

"Yeah, you want to put a good word in for ya? You know, talk you up with her." I sneer.

He rolls his eyes.

"Shut up." He says.

I laugh.

"I need to go get some hangover food." He says, "Wanna come?" He asks.

"Sure, I need to get away from this computer." I say as I get up.

We drove down to McDonalds to grab food and parked in the parking lot and ate our food.

It was quiet, we just sat there.

"Remember when we used to sneak out when you and Norah would have sleepovers?" He breaks the silence.

I smile.

"Yeah." I say.

He chuckles.

"We'd always get nasty ass gas station food." I laugh.

"We probably would've died from eating that shit." He says.

"Okay, but those hot dogs were heaven." I say.

He laughs.

"Yeah, they were." He smiles.

We looked at each other, all I could see was us as stupid teenagers dealing with so much shit.

"We were so stupid back then." He says.

"Yeah, we were." I whisper as I look down at the scar on my knee.

I brush my fingers over the scar and sigh. I fight back the tears as I think about how my whole life fell apart after that night. A night I wish never happened.

"We should head back, I gotta go to The Grill with Garrett soon." I say.

"Okay." He says as he puts his seatbelt back on.

~~~~~~~

I walk through the doors of The Grill with Garrett and look around. It wasn't as packed as it usually is.

"Guys!" I hear someone call.

I see Taylor walk up to us in her uniform with a smile plastered on her face.

"Hey, Tay-Tay." Garrett says as he kisses her.

"Hi." She smiles.

She looks at me, "You ready?" She asks.

"Nope." I say.

She laughs.

"You'll be fine, Rick is chill. He's an angel." She explains.

"I thought I was an angel." Garrett says.

"No, you're the devil." Taylor tells him.

I laugh.

"A devil in bed, right, Tay-Tay?" He sneers.

"Ew, shut up." She says.

Garrett chuckles at her.

"Go sit down, I'll get you some fries to shut you up." She tells him.

"Okay, but first walk over there so I can look at your ass." He says.

"I swear to god." She rolls her eyes, "Come on, Jules. I'll take you to Rick." Taylor goes on.

I followed her to the back where staff were only allowed. I see a man sitting in a small office, typing at his laptop, aggressively.

"Rick, this is Jules. The girl I was telling you about." Taylor explains.

He looks up at us and smiles. He had a white beard and funny round glasses on his eyes.

"Ah, yes. Come in, sweetheart. Take a seat." He says to me,

I smile and sit in front of his desk.

"I'm gonna go, I've got a hungry hockey man out there to feed." Taylor says.

"Tell Garrett I said hi." Rick says.

"I will." She says before leaving me and Rick alone.

"So, Taylor says you wanna get a job here." He says.

"Yes, sir." I smile.

He nods.

"Do you have any experience in this kind of job?" He asks.

"Well, not really." I say.

"Well, this can be a stressful job at times, especially with all these hockey players coming in and out everyday." He explains.

"I understand." I reply, "I just really need some money right now, I'm pretty much homeless, I'm living with my best friend's brother right now and it's filled with hockey players. So, I'm desperate." I rant.

He nods and rubs his beard.

"Alright, what about you come for a trial run tomorrow, it's Friday so it's one of the busiest days. So you'll get a feel of how it'll be like, Taylor can train you and show you how to work the place and we'll see how it goes." He explains.

I smile.

"Okay, thank you. This means a lot." I say.

"Of course, hon. Good luck." He smiles.

I nod before getting up and walking out of the room. I make my way to the front with my body filled with excitement. I look around for Taylor and Garrett and see them at a table, she was standing next to him while he looked up at her while eating his fries.

She laughs as they talk, she brushes some of his hair out of his face as smiles down at him.

I can't hate her for not loving Brennen, Garrett was the one who excited her. She wasn't stupid for not choosing him, it was Garrett, he was the right choice. I wish Brennen could see that.