t h i r t y

I could follow you to the beginning 

just to relive the start 

T H E Y RACED OUT OF THE TREES, pure panic in Eden's eyes as she breathed in the black smoke, watching as the Cullen's and wolves hurriedly dragged what was left of the newborns

T H E Y RACED OUT OF THE TREES, pure panic in Eden's eyes as she breathed in the black smoke, watching as the Cullen's and wolves hurriedly dragged what was left of the newborns. She scanned around the field for Jacob but couldn't find him. 

"How long?" She could hear Edward ask but Eden couldn't focus, she continued to scan, turning around to find Jacob. The smell of the fire prevented her from scenting him. The were-coyote's heart began to beat rapidly against her chest. 

"A few minutes. Maybe ten." 

"They timed their arrival well."

"Probably hoping the newborns took a few of us out."

Voices began to blur as Eden could feel her hands begin to shake, she could sense Jacob was alive but where was he? The air was thick with an oppressive tension that seemed to constrict each breath. The distant hum of voices became an unsettling reminder that her mate wasn't among them. 

"The pack needs to leave. The Volturi won't honour a truce with the werewolf-" One of the Cullen's was saying before Eden suddenly interrupted them, fear colliding in her wide, anxious eyes.

"Where's Jacob?" 

"There" Edward gently said before Jacob emerged from the trees in her wolf form. She wasn't sure how he knew where Jacob was but she couldn't care. Eden let out a sigh of relief before taking a step towards him, making eye contact. 

He, in turn, started walking towards her, when suddenly a vicious snarl came from the woods, directly behind him. Quickly a male newborn manoeuvred out of Leah's way, before spinning and grabbing onto her fur. Yanking her off from the ground.

It all happened too fast for Eden to process as Jacob leapt onto the newborn, tackling him until they began to roll into the clearing where he took a large chunk off the newborn's face. Somehow the vampire managed to get his arms around Jacob and all Eden could hear was a loud, ear-deafening crunch as Jacob howled in pain. 

The world ceased to exist for Eden in that pivotal moment. Time slowed, and the air became charged with an electric intensity that crackled with the raw emotion coursing through her veins. Her heart stuttered in her chest, and her breath caught in her throat.

"Jacob!" Eden screamed before immediately shifting back into her were-coyote form and running alongside the other wolves. They all pounced onto the newborn, she took a large chunk out of his arm as their sharp teeth forced him to release Jacob.