Part 18

Klas's pov:

For two days, I remained in the dark about Mickey's and Willow's whereabouts. Mickey had left abruptly, leaving me with unanswered questions. Despite reaching out to everyone I could think of, no one had any clue. A text from Mickey confirmed that they weren't kidnapped; he simply chose to walk away. My desperate pleas for him to return went unanswered - no response to my texts or calls. At this moment of uncertainty, I sought refuge at my parents' house, as my father insisted I shouldn't stay alone in our house.

Waking up, I went through the motions, showering and joining my parents in the kitchen for breakfast. The morning greetings were a small reprieve from the tumult. We shared a delicious breakfast of baked eggs with spinach, mushrooms, goat's cheese, and chorizo, washing it down with fresh orange juice. As I bid goodbye to my parents and headed to work, I couldn't escape the looming weight of the situation. Despite the challenging weeks, the need to work and carry on persisted-it was going to be a long day.

I headed straight to my office, immersing myself in work to avoid any distractions. In these past few days, my usual clients had deserted me in favor of Adrian, the aftermath of his victory in the voting event. Frustration bubbled within me as I navigated the challenges of losing clients to my rival.

Amid my focus on work, my phone interrupted with a call. Anticipating potential clients, I answered, only to find my assistant, Nara, on the line. "What is it, Nara?" I asked, my disappointment evident. She delivered grim news - we had to close one of the companies due to a cascade of resignations and financial struggles. Anger surged within me, and in a fit of frustration, I threw my phone across the room. Another company lost, succumbing to bankruptcy.

As I grappled with the reality of the situation, Adrian entered, a smirk playing on his lips. Fully aware of my predicament, he sarcastically inquired, "Are you okay, Miller?" Uninterested in engaging with him, I brushed off his concern, sternly asking, "What brings you here?" Adrian, reveling in my downfall, offered assistance. "I can help you get back on track and leave some clients for you," he proposed. Skeptical, I rejected his offer, insisting, "I don't need your help."

Amid our exchange, Adrian dropped a bombshell. "All I need is Mickey," he declared, leaving me bewildered. The realization hit that my relationship with Mickey was at the center of this complex situation. Conflicted and unsure, I grappled with the choice between salvaging my company and the prospect of letting go of my husband of five years, Mickey. The path ahead was unclear, and confusion enveloped me.

"Give me time," I said, exhaling deeply. The internal conflict intensified as I grappled with the dilemma of choosing between my love for Mickey and my aspiration to succeed in managing my company. While I cherished Mickey, the allure of success in my professional endeavors tugged at my ambitions.

"Sure, but I can't wait for too long, Miller," Adrian remarked, a smirk playing on his lips. He reveled in my desperation, fully aware of the precarious situation I found myself in. As he exited the room, leaving me to my thoughts, I returned to my chair with a heavy sigh.

Gazing through the large window, I observed the ceaseless movement of cars and the vibrant activity of the bustling city below. Life had taken an unexpected turn, plunging into a downward spiral. The disconnection from my husband and daughter, coupled with the successive downturns of my companies, left me feeling powerless. There seemed to be no way to halt the relentless descent into chaos.

Sighing once more, I refocused on my work. Determined to reverse the tide, I invested my efforts in attracting clients, desperately hoping for a miracle that could lift me from the abyss of despair.

In the afternoon, I rose from my office chair, signaling the end of another futile day. Meeting Nara on my way out, she greeted me with concern. "Are you okay, boss?" she inquired, and I nodded, releasing a heavy sigh. Curiosity gnawed at me, and I posed the question, "Are we good, or bad, or... real bad?" Nara's somber expression reflected the harsh reality. "I guess we could say bad, but not real bad," she admitted sadly. "Alright, thanks," I muttered, unable to shake off the sense of helplessness.

Frustration simmered within me as I pondered over what action to take. Exiting the building, I approached my car, contemplating the uncertainties that clouded my path. Once inside, I retrieved my phone, finding messages from my mother expressing concern, yet silence from Mickey. He hadn't even read the texts. The void left by their absence weighed heavily on me. I yearned to know their whereabouts, to ensure their safety and happiness, especially for Willow.

My stomach rumbled, a reminder of the basic needs overshadowed by the chaos of my life. Deciding on pastries and coffee for lunch, I set out, the simple act of nourishing myself a feeble attempt to regain a semblance of control in the unraveling tapestry of my existence.

Exiting the car, I entered the cafe, joining the queue with a heavy heart. Contemplating a message to Mickey, I found myself erasing the desperate pleas that echoed in previous texts. As I struggled with my words, a familiar voice broke through the silence. "Klas," called out Ethan, his smile failing to mask his concern. "Are you okay? You look sick," he observed, and I mustered a weak smile. "I'm okay, thanks," I replied, dismissing the need for sympathy.

Ethan, seemingly oblivious to my hectic life, extended an invitation. "You know, if you're not busy, we can-" I halted him, unwilling to entertain the idea of a coffee date amidst the chaos. "I'm busy," I asserted, emphasizing my preoccupation with life's complexities. Surprised by my abrupt refusal, Ethan conceded, offering a lifeline. "Just call me anytime if you need someone to talk to, Klas. You know that," he reassured.

As I approached the counter to place my order, I recited my preferences with a forced smile. "Chicken sandwich, fries with sour cream, matcha cookies, and a pumpkin-spiced latte, please," I requested, handing over my credit card. The background chatter of the cafe buzzed around me as I navigated through the routine. "So, what do you say?" Ethan persisted, seeking a connection. I shook my head, avoiding direct eye contact. "I don't know, Ethan. Maybe," I replied, leaving him to sigh in resignation. Retrieving my card and order, I departed, leaving Ethan behind with lingering stares.

Returning to my car, a heavy sigh escaped me. The daunting reality lingered - for my company to regain its footing, I might have to let go of Mickey. Yet, contemplating the potential aftermath, I envisioned Mickey finding solace in the company of Adrian. Moreover, Ethan, with his keen interest, might seize the opportunity to weave himself into my life.

The complexity of these relationships weighed on me, creating a web of emotions that I couldn't unravel easily. Despite the temptation to simplify matters by parting ways, the thought of losing Mickey, the man I had loved for six years, proved to be a formidable obstacle. I wasn't ready to relinquish that love so easily; Mickey held a place in my heart that I couldn't easily fill with anyone else.

Mickey's pov:

"Alright, Willy, we need some milk," I remarked as we strolled through the store, Willow comfortably seated in the cart. Her gleeful pointing led us to the dairy section. "Good girl," I praised, smiling as I reached for a carton. In the midst of our shopping, I inquired, "Do you have a friend, Willy?" She giggled and nodded, confessing, "Yes, a boy!"

Amidst the aisles, I playfully probed further, "Do you like him?" Willow shook her head, grinning. "It's okay; you can love anyone," I reassured, pausing to grab a bottle of coffee. Taking a moment, I imparted a life lesson, "You know, you can even date a girl, as long as you're happy," gently caressing her cheek. It was then that I sensed a woman scrutinizing me, likely disapproving of my conversation with Willow.

"the fuck you lookin' at, saggy tits?" I asked sternly, confronting her judgment. "You can't teach your kid about those things," she asserted. I scoffed in response. "I can teach my kid whatever the fuck I want. Oh, guess what? I'm going to teach her how to mind her damn own business!" I declared loudly as she hurriedly walked away. "That's what I fuckin thought," I muttered, rolling my eyes and smiling upon seeing Willow giggling.

"You know, Willow, sometimes you've got to teach people in a rude way if it means giving them a lesson," I shared, and Willow nodded, smiling. "Aren't you cute," I laughed, proud that she mirrored my assertiveness. She was undeniably my child, and I took pride in her resemblance to me.

FEEL FREE TO VOTE AND COMMENT