paris

d e l i c a t e

d e l i c a t e

˜"*°•.˜"*°•.•°*"˜.•°*"˜

and i lived in your chess game,
but you change the rules everyday.

CLENCHING MY FISTS, I knock on Jack's front door.

"Jack?" I yell after a few minutes of silence. "Jack, I know you're in there. Your car is still here."

Silence. I can't believe it. I flew out on the first plane out of Abu Dhabi to talk with him and he wasn't going to let me in.

"Look, Jack, if you don't let me in, please listen to me," I say, sitting on the front steps, leaning my head against the doorframe. "I didn't cheat on you. I was just drunk-it was just dancing. And I'm-"

Sorry, that was what I was going to say. The word is caught in my throat. I'm sorry. Me. Sorry.

The door cracks open, and when I look up he's towering over me, staring down through the crack.

"I knew you would come back," he says, a smirk on his face. I vaguely remember a time when his smiles didn't seem like Halloween masks, scary, off-putting. "Come on in, Juni. I accept your apology."

He opens the door and holds his hand out for me to take. It's like the world goes dark around him, the only light being his hand, reaching out through the void.

"No."

"Pardon?" He says, his hand stalling in front of me.

"I didn't apologise."

"What-I don't."

"I didn't cheat on you. I didn't apologise."

Jack laughs, pulling his hand back and crossing his arms over his chest. "I know you didn't cheat on me, you stupid bitch," he spits, "I know you didn't cheat because you know that without me, you would be nothing."

I stand up, taking a step back. "You know that I made you," Jack says, stepping out of the door. "If I left you, people would realise how worthless you really are."

He towers over me, one strong hand wraps around my wrist. I feel frozen in place, my bones brittle. Delicate like porcelain, I fit in one of his freezing hands, I'm nothing but at his mercy. Tears prick in my eyes.

"Now, come inside, Juni," he says, tugging on my arm.

"Jack, please-"

"Now," he demands, dragging me inside.

When the door shuts behind me, it's like my entire world falls to darkness. That was my escape. I had almost escaped. Nearly ten years of him letting the line go loose and every time he manages to reel me back in before I stray too far.

He leaves me in the kitchen, it's cold. My shoes are in the hall, my jacket hangs on the coatrack by the door, my bag is here on the table. I'm alone and I'm frozen in place.

I'm frozen in place.

I hear the television switch on in the other room.

I'm frozen in place.

A truck passes by outside.

I'm frozen in place.

A dog barks next door.

I'm frozen in place.

I hear Jack call my name.

I'm grabbing my bag.

He calls again.

I'm tying my jacket.

He's shouting now.

I don't have time for shoes.

I pull the door open and run down his garden sock-footed. I can hear him call my name, shout at me, swear at me. He tells me I'm nothing, how I'll be back. I keep running.

I LIE IN bed, completely awake. My feet ache from earlier today but the pain now pales in comparison to the pain I would've felt had I stayed in that house. I stayed off Twitter and all social media today, Nora's advice had been ringing in my head all day. I really miss her. I think today is the start of something better. This time next year I'll be happy. Happier, at least.

My phone vibrates underneath my pillow, but this time I know it's a text. I already blocked Jack, so it can't be bad. I roll on my side and fish it out, squinting at the LEDs while I read the contact name, but there's none. It's an unknown number.

imessage

Unknown Number
i hope you're okay and you got into paris
safely. just so you know, i can hit jack
with my car for you. Left Unsaid wasn't
that good of a movie anyway.

this is charles, btw. you were drunk
when you asked me if i wanted your number.

june
hi charles, im okay but i may
have to take you up on that offer.

and sorry for drunkenly harassing you.
it was a traumatising night.

charles leclerc
don't apologise im glad you gave me
your number.

and i'll take note that i need to hit jack
with my car. it's def going on the agenda.

june
asap please

charles leclerc
i am very fast dont worry
i have trophies to prove

june
not faster than max

charles leclerc
i am regretting getting your number
you were nicer back in abu dhabi

june
sorry that was supposed to be a joke
its been a really long day sorry

charles leclerc
no no i was joking too again im glad
i got your number

it was funny

june
oh okay sorry

charles leclerc
you don't need to apologise june

june
sorry

charles leclerc
june

june
yes?

charles leclerc
you don't need to say sorry

˜"*°•.˜"*°•.•°*"˜.•°*"˜

charles and jack parallels?? i think so

BOO JACK AUCLAIR BOOO BOO BOOOOO

<m3