the dinner party

d e l i c a t e

d e l i c a t e

˜"*°•.˜"*°•.•°*"˜.•°*"˜

and you stood there in front of me,
just close enough to touch.
close enough to hope you couldn't
see what i was thinking of.

.҉     .҉    .҉

imessage

mark hanover
Nora has me blocked from her
stories

is she at the dinner with
you?

june
yeah she is

why?

mark hanover
because I'm outside

Sure enough, I opened the door and saw Mark talking animatedly with one of the bouncers.

"Hey!" I call, getting his and the bouncer's attention. "He's with us." I cock my head in the direction of the door I had come through, and the bouncer nods his head in a quick apology, letting Mark come over.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in a hushed whisper. It occurs to me now, I've never had a one-on-one conversation with Mark. I lead him inside and sneak him around everyone, out to the smoking area on the balcony.

"I want to apologise to Nora," he says, straightening out his jacket.

"So you decided this was the best way to do it?" I ask, folding my arms over my chest.

"Well, she hasn't been answering any of my texts," he shrugs. "We haven't spoken since Shanghai when she ran out on me."

I lean against the thick marble wall of the balcony, tapping my finger on it. I've learned that silence often urges people on to share more, so was trying this now.

"It was probably my fault, we follow the same routine but instead of you-know, I wanted to stay up and talk."

"Wait—what?" I exclaim, my eyes widening involuntarily. "Is that why she left?"

"Oh," Mark mutters, "you two haven't really talked about it?"

"No!" I say, leaning forward. He sits back on the wall and fishes a box of cigarettes from the inside of his jacket, quietly muttering something to himself as he does.

"Mark, you have to tell me," I say, shuffling down on the wall. "I won't tell Nora that you told me."

He sighs in a cloud of smoke, two fingers pull the cigarette from his mouth as he bites down on his bottom lip. "It's not some big scandal or anything," he says. I don't say anything in response. "It's just—"