ᴛʜᴇɴ

d e l i c a t e

d e l i c a t e

˜"*°•.˜"*°•.•°*"˜.•°*"˜

and isn't it just so pretty to think,
all along there was some
invisible string, tying you to me.

.҉    .҉    .҉ 

I WAS MUCH younger then. Max had just started driving for us at Red Bull, so I would've been around fifteen or sixteen. Charles was the type of person you would hear about before you actually got to meet him. Max would tell me stories of his karting days with Charles, how they grew up racing against one another.

On Max's first race he told me how strange it was, Charles not being there with him. He had become this constant pain in his side in every race since they were kids. Charles would push him to do better, now he had to push himself.

It was almost always good things. It was rare to hear someone talk badly about Charles Leclerc. I remember vividly when Charles was test driving for Haas, Max told me he'll have a seat in F1 soon.

"Charles was one of the greatest people I raced against before F1."

I first saw him at a quali race. All of the details were fuzzy, but I just remember seeing him getting out of his car, take off his helmet and balaclava and jog over to greet Max. He was charming, I thought. He had a baby face, then.

I remember how I wanted to introduce myself to him, tell him of all the good things Max has said, but I couldn't because Jack was there. I think I was seventeen, then, putting him at twenty-nine. At the time, he told me the reason he didn't want me speaking to other men was because he cared for me. I was like his little sister.

Jack and I met when I was fifteen. He had a paddock pass and came down to speak to some of the drivers, I think he was working on a movie where he was playing an F1 driver at the time, so wanted to get a sense of what it was really like during a race. As the drivers started to disappear for their pre-race rituals, Jack found himself stood beside me.

I was starstruck. I was fifteen years old and one of the hottest names in Hollywood and biggest teen-heartthrobs was beside me. Out of everyone, he chose me to stand by. He introduced himself, joked about how I must know so much more than him, and asked me for any tips. And of course, I wanted to help him any way I could. 

Jack would come to more and more races as the years went on. He would invite me on set, backstage at his concerts, to his award shows. He told me he cared about me, that I was like his little sister.