the dinner

d e l i c a t e

d e l i c a t e

˜"*°•.˜"*°•.•°*"˜.•°*"˜

and at every table, i'll
save you a seat, lover.

.҉ .҉ .҉

WE MADE THE decision for me to enter first, and while I was greeting my dad, Nora would bring Charles in and stow him away with my mama's side of the family.

"Dad!" I say, louder than needed. He looks up from his conversation, then quickly comes to greet me. Geri and Blue trail behind.

"Hello, darling," he smiles, pulling me in for a hug and planting a kiss on my cheek. "Happy Birthday."

I thank him and shuffle past to greet Geri and Blue. I see Charles—being dragged by Nora—enter from behind my dad and flash a nervous smile in my direction. I try not to react and reveal our stupid little plan, but my eyes follow him as he's pulled across the room to where my mama was standing.

As my dad and Geri return to their conversation, Blue interlocks her arm with mine, and leads me to do a lap of the dining room instead.

"You brought the Ferrari driver?" She whispers, teasing.

"Yes," I whisper in return, "but we're just friends."

I watch as Charles is nervously fidgetting with the cuffs of his shirt, talking with my mama. She's probably overloading him with embarrassing stories from my childhood already.

Blue hums, but I know she doesn't believe me. "Remember in Monaco I was going to say something about Max before Charles interrupted?" I vaguely recall something along those lines, but mostly just her jumping in her seat to eat her desert.

"Well," she continues, "I was talking to Max in Monaco, just before we all sat down, and we were like—okay honestly, we were making fun of you and Charles—"

"Okay, rude," I interrupt, but Blue waves me off to finish her story.

"Irregardless," she says with an overdramatic hand gesture. "Max slipped up and said that Charlie there had a huge crush on you when you were younger."

I laugh, looking across the room to where he was standing, still talking nervously with my mama, glancing up at me now and again. "Even if he did, we were both kids. I'm—We are different people now."

"Yeah but, is it not something to think about?" Blue tries as we near our parents again.

"I'm older than you are, things like that don't mean as much."