10: Boyfriend, Girlfriend.

Jasmine

The car door on my passenger side slams shut. I sit still clutching onto the steering wheel. My stomach is in knots. I am so nervous to walk into school and see all of my friends who are crazy excited and beyond shocked by mine and Carter's sudden romance. I feel as though maybe I have taken on more than I can handle, and this really is a bad idea. I have never lied to my friends before, especially Bianca and Kelly. What makes it worse is that the two of them have been praising me for moving on from Angel and telling me how proud they are. Now I just feel guilty.

Carter rapping his knuckles on my window brings me out of my thoughts. He looks down at me with concern filled eyes. "You alright?"

I swallow, shaking my head no. "This was such a bad idea, Carter. we're lying to all of our friends. And you know I am a terrible liar!"

I feel myself on the verge of having an anxiety attack. I take deep breaths, trying to steady my racing heart. Carter opens my door and crouches down so that he is eye level with me.

"It's going to be fine, okay? They won't suspect a thing I promise you."

"How can you be sure?" I look into his eyes for any uncertainty that may lie behind them, but I find none. He sighs, looking away from me for a moment. I can tell he is in his thoughts.

"Carter?" I ask quietly.

"When you look at me," he begins, "think about Angel. Whatever you do or say to me, you're doing and saying to Angel. That way, no one will be suspicious because you won't be acting. It'll come off as genuine."

I let out a ragged breath, "You really think that will work?"

He stands and holds his hand out for me, "Only one way to find out." I take hold of his hand, letting him lead me away from my car. I click the lock button on my Keychain. We walk hand in hand all the way to the entrance of our school. Even once we've stepped inside, I do not let go of Carter's hand. His closeness is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

There is a loud shriek sounding from behind us that causes everyone milling about to turn their attention to it, including us.

Kelly comes rushing towards us and throws her arms around the two of us, wrapping us in a hug.

"I knew my ship would sail!" She yells, "Ahh, I'm so happy for you guys!"

She hugs us again. I look to Carter, who just shrugs while smirking. Kelly pulls away and frowns at us.

"What took you both so long? I lost a bet, thanks to you two."

"A bet?" I raise my eyebrow questioningly and watch as Kelly squirms for an answer.

"It was silly doesn't matter now." She rushes out. "God, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your post, Jasmine. How long has this been going on?"

"It's still new to both of us, and we're taking it slow." I smile up at Carter, who still holds my hand. "Right, lovie?"

"That's right, we're taking it slow." He let's go of my hand to wrap his arm around my shoulders. I lean in to his embrace.

Pretend he is Angel. I remind myself.

Kelly pouts her lips, "y'all look so cute, ugh, I knew you would, though. I even told Bianca as much."

As if the she devil heard her name, Bianca comes walking up to us. She holds her hand out to Kelly.

"Pay up ma'am."

Kelly rolls her eyes and places ten dollars in Bianca's open palm. My eyebrows furrow at them.