49: Canvas of Love

Carter

Funerals have to be the most loathed event you will ever have to attend. Even if you attend one where you do not know the person who has died you still feel a sense of pity and sadness as you witness the suffering of those around you who actually had the opportunity of knowing the deceased and you end up having the grateful thought that you are not the one suffering because of this person's sudden departure. But then you hate yourself for thinking of such a selfish thing at a time like this.

I stand grave side watching as the mahogany casket draped in roses is being lowered down into the earth while feeling void of any emotions. The days that have passed since everything happened have truly yet to hit me. I look across from me to see Kelly dabbing at her eyes with tissues while Ben has an arm wrapped around her waist. Bianca stands beside her with dark sunglasses obscuring her eyes. Ralph made an appearance as well, which surprised me, but it is better that we are all here together again. We will need each other to lean on.

I look down beside me into the sad eyes of the girl that I love even more than I did before. Jasmine looks up at me, giving me a small smile as she tightens her hold around my arm. When I heard the gunshots that night in the hospital, I never would have thought the culprit would be Morgan. By the time I had gotten out into the hall to look for Jasmine, she was gone. Nick found me wandering around for her and had me forcefully put back into my room on lockdown.

I heard that Angel had been the one to take the brunt of everything while trying to save Jasmine. He was shot two times along with Morgan, who just got grazed by one of Nick's bullets, which caused her to drop the gun, which is the main reason Jasmine is still with me today.

They said she had had a serious panic attack, and they had initially thought she had been shot in the chest but it turned out that all of the blood belonged to Angel, who ended up in emergency surgery because of a bullet wound to his leg. I never thought I would see the day where I ended up with a huge respect for my girlfriends ex. But had it not been for him, she would not be standing beside me right now.

"I would just like to thank you all so much for coming," the man named Paul looks on at all of us. Tears brimming his eyes, his face blotchy and red from all of the tears he has shed. He struggles to speak through all of his emotions. "Helen was a good woman. She fought hard even to the end, and she always made sure that we," His voice cracks, "that Morgan and I were happy despite all of the pain she had been in." He takes a deep breath. "As much as I am going to miss her, I have peace in knowing that she is at rest and no longer suffering."

He ends with that. I am now seeing why Jasmine was so adamant about attending Morgan's mother' funeral. My girl is so caring even after the hellish night she went through. She gives Paul a sympathetic smile, and he returns a small one before taking a seat in a chair beside the grave as attenders begin to disperse.

Jasmine keeps her hold on me as we walk behind our parents. Her mom and mine speak together in hushed tones while my dad, who had flown in yesterday after he got word from my mom about what had happened, talks openly with Jasmine's dad.

"Kids," Mrs. Davis turns to face us. "Mrs. Grayson and I would love it if you all came over to my home for some food and just good company." She sighs, "I believe we could all use it right now."

"Can I ride with y'all?" Bianca asks Jasmine. "I came with Ben and Kelly, but he drives too crazy for me."

"I came with my parents, but yeah, you can we have room if you don't mind sharing a backseat with me and Carter."

I had come with my parents but apparently I'm riding with my girl now.

"I just want you close." Jasmine wraps her arms around my waist. I place a kiss on her forehead. "I got you, baby."