Chapter 44

The plane touched down, and I was already debating just booking a flight back and avoiding everyone

The plane touched down, and I was already debating just booking a flight back and avoiding everyone. The only positive was that I was getting to visit my friend.

I quickly found Dmitri who was wearing a full suit. He waved warmly to me, and I walked over, genuinely happy to see him.

We headed over to the luggage carousel. He refused to let me pick up my own bag, so I pointed at my suitcase as it went by. He retrieved it for me.

"Dmitri, do you have a family?" I asked him once we were in the car. I realized that I knew so little about him.

"I have a wife and daughter," he grinned.

"Don't you miss them?" It must have been hard to be away from his family for so long.

"Very much, but Stray Kids only does a tour every year or so, and, even then, it's only for a few months. It's a lot of money that my family needs."

"I see." He seemed grateful for JYP. I wondered if he was one of the guards who told on the boys, or if he had their backs. I hoped it was the latter. I'd grown to like him. "Where do they live?"

"They live in Seattle. They'll come to the show when we get to that tour stop."

"I've heard Seattle is beautiful," I smiled. I became antsy as we neared Mana's house. I was still only able to tell her half-truths about how our relationship began and about the guys.

"How is Chan?"

Dmitri shook his head while looking at the road ahead. "Not good."

"Do you think it's a mistake? My being here?"

"I think Felix and the others are desperate to help him. You made him happy."

It was hard to imagine a world where Chan would need me so badly.

Dmitri pulled up to Mana's apartment. It was right across from the venue, so I couldn't avoid the concert tomorrow even if I wanted to. He helped me carry my luggage inside.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he told me, before getting into the car and driving away.

Mana was waiting in the lobby when I walked up to the door.

"You're here!" she squealed. We hugged, and she took my suitcase to wheel it to the elevator.

"Thank you for letting me stay and for coming with me tomorrow."

"Oh, I'm excited for the concert! I don't hate Stray Kids, just the leader," she joked.

"Chan's not so bad," I mumbled. I hated that I still felt the need to defend him even after what he'd said.

"Ah! His name is illegal to say in my apartment. You may call him 'leader', 'dick', or, my personal favorite, 'soul-sucking leech'. Okay?"

I laughed, "Fine with me."