Fourteen (Wreny)

Wreny's POV

"So you have been defeated too, Eustass," says Law silently, his first smirk is nowhere to be seen. You are sitting by his side, holding his hand fondly. He strokes your skin absent-mindedly, more to calm himself than you. "I'm sorry for your loss."

The redhead only nods as he accepts it, and the air changes between them. Since the two ships met, they never stopped arguing.

Not until their crews came into question. They are both Captains who failed to protect what they care about the most, and it connects them in a way like never before.

"Three is the only reason there are still a few of us," whispers Kid. "And we have no idea how she's doing since then. She wanted to disappear for a while for a good reason."

"But if I understood well, she agreed on never seeing you again," you say carefully, and you feel Law's vivid eyes turning to you. "Won't there be a conflict with Shanks if you appear?"

The man raises his sharp gaze on you, and you scowl as you feel Conqueror's Haki from him, uncontrolled and wild. Ace looks just as surprised as you, but Law doesn't react.

I never thought he would have that.

"I don't care what happens to me," answers Eustass. "Three needs to know that I tried to return to her, even if I die trying."

Ace's features soften a little, but you can't relax as easily as him.

"She made a sacrifice for you," you continue, calmly standing the redhead's burning stare. "If you throw it away, she will never live in peace."

"Wreny, that's-"

"Let me finish, Law," you say, and when you look at him, his eyes widen a little as he understands.

Kuma made a sacrifice for you, too. You could have taken his mission in a deal because of your abilities, but he didn't let you.

He saved both you and his daughter, and it took you a while to value it in the way he deserves.

"I understand you because I have been in a similar situation before," you whisper. "And we would love to change it. To take their place or change the past, but we can't do that. And if we don't honor their wishes, it's like we don't accept what they did for us."

"Then what do you advise?" growls Kid, his fists clenching. "That I hide for the rest of my life while she carries my burden alone? Three is kind. She is strong, so incredibly strong because she was forced to always be, but she will get hurt again."

Law moves a little out of instinct and leans forward, his hand finding the hilt of his sword, afraid the other would lose control.

But Ace shakes his head almost invisibly, and a second later, the redhead's muscles ease. His shoulders sink, and he glances up at the sky.

"When I first met her, she was already broken, barely kept together by small wonders," says the man silently, his wide chest rising heavily as he tries to hold himself back. "Ever since she was a little girl, she only cared for others while those bastards tortured her until she could barely feel the pain anymore."

He trembles as he looks back at you, his jaws tight, eyes shining with water while glowing so brightly that you feel like he sees right through you.

"If they hurt her again, I will never forgive myself," rustles Eustass Kid, his deep voice quivering softly just from talking about her.

And when he stands up and leaves to the inside of the ship, nobody stops him.

He walks with a limp, and your heart misses a beat as he touches the doorframe, leaving behind a thin line of blood.