final goodbyes

branch's pov:

i didn't really know much about funerals. when your a troll you never really have to attend stuff like that. trolls don't usually die.

i could tell that none of the trolls here really knew how to act. it looked they wanted to smile and talk between each other like trolls normally do. but you can't really do that at a funeral. so everything was oddly quiet. there was this tense aura surrounding me in the air- i didn't like it one bit. gives me the creeps.

by this point all the trolls had been seated and turned toward a slightly elevated stage in which floyd's casket sat.

his funeral was at the beach. believe it or not, floyd loved the beach. at least before he was captured by velvet and veneer. he told us all about it.. i wish i would have gone with him.

but i could have never predicted that things would end up like this.

you know, i don't really feel sad. just numb. really, really numb. and i'm not sure if that's good or not. i want to feel sad or angry or something!!- but my feelings come out blank.

anyways, back to the funeral.

there was this big white flowery arch over the stage with his casket on it. there were smooth pebbles surrounding the whole thing. the silence allowed for the waves to be heard; soothing the entire crowd.

i was sat at the front. poppy was on my right side and john was on my left side. we had all been grouped together like that. to be honest, my family were the only people i knew here. everyone else at the funeral must be coming for poppy. however there were a few mount rageons watching from afar.

i guess i didn't know much about floyd's life before the whole velvet and veneer thing happened. he probably had loads of friends here. i just don't know them.

this one random troll stepped up and onto the stage. at least i thought he was random. he probably had a lot of meaning to floyd.

he blabbered endlessly about how such a good student he was (apparently he went to college) and the personal experiences he had with floyd.

i had a script of what i wanted to say crumpled up into my hand. this man had already said it all. but i still had hope.

next, a friend of his stepped onto the stage. they did the same and talked about how fun he was before he had gotten captured.

my fist pressed harder against the paper; scrunching it up. now i was judging the speech i had prepared. it felt incomparable to the ones that had already been spoken. i should have put more time and effort into it.

then clay went onto the stage.

he walked slowly and deliberately. as if these were his last words and he had to speak them perfectly.

"he was.. he was a really good brother." he began; staring at the paper in his hands. he didn't allow his eyes to travel anywhere else. he seemed really nervous. "he always knew how to keep the family calm. he always knew what to say and how to say it." clay chuckled a bit. "he was the most emotional. but he kept his emotions sealed-" he stopped; wiping tears from his eyes. he smiled before reading the last part. he looked out to the crowd. "he was a really good brother." he ended.

he stepped off the stage and sat back in his seat silently, looking down at his hands as he fiddled around with them.

"that was good clay." bruce whispered; patting him on the back before he got up and onto the stage.

he looked out to the crowd and studied each troll's face. "what can i say about floyd that hasn't already been said? he was a man of little words.. but that was easily made up for by his comforting manner. he knew exactly what to say all the time. i really did admire him, even if i'm the older brother. i wish his soul well in heaven."

and with that, bruce got off the stage. he looked shaken. like he wanted to cry but he just couldn't. i understood him entirely.

john dory took bruce's place on the stage. he un crumpled a balled up piece of paper that was stuffed in his back pocket. john took a deep breath, looked at the crowd, then back at his paper.

"he was a good brother. he was.. a really good brother. i mean- what am i even supposed to say?? my little brothers dead and i didn't do anything about it when i had the chance. i wish it was me. i would have taken his place without hesitation.. but it wasn't me. and- and,, i've got to move on. i'm sorry floyd. i'm going to miss you."

he looked out at the crowd.

"their going to miss you."

he finished, looking like he wanted to say more. but he kept his mouth shut, and got off the stage. i could tell he was crying; but he pulled his goggles down so nobody could see.

a moment passed with silence. it took a while to realize everyone was looking at me.. i had to deliver my speech!!

i got up in a hurry; nearly knocking my chair over as i got atop the stage. i blinked past the sunlight and looked upon the crowd.

jeez that's a lot of trolls..

i swallowed then looked at my paper. their speeches were so much better than mine. no speech can make up for what happened. my speech just seems like salt to the wound,, it seemed like a joke compared to what floyd went through. i can't say this!! it's like.. insulting him, and embarrassing myself in the process.

by this point i realized that i had been standing silent for too long. my eyes hastily shot up over the crowd; trolls were growing impatient..

i put my speech back into my pocket and closed my eyes.

"floyd. it stings to say the name in my mouth. where do i even start??.. he was my brother. he was.."

this was already starting to sound stupid.

i sighed, opening my eyes. "sorry. i can't do this." i muttered before getting off the stage.

thats the end of the chapter!! there will still be a few more 💪