Chapter 9

I stirred from my sleep as I felt a small presence crawling ontop of me. I open my eyes to see zuni on my stomach reaching out his little hands to touch my cheeks. I picked him up as i blinked away the last traces of slumber, memories of last night's conversation in the group chat flooded my mind. Ali's words lingered, his acknowledgment of my presence sending a flutter of warmth through me.

He seemed like such a humble person, genuine in his interactions and thoughtful in his words.

With a smile playing on my lips, I got from bed putting zuni down in the crib next to me and made my way upstairs, eager to join my family for breakfast. The aroma of freshly made rotis wafted from the kitchen, mingling with the sound of chatter and laughter.

In the kitchen, my aunts and my mom were busy rolling out dough and flipping rotis on the tawa, their hands moving with practiced ease. Their laughter filled the air as they exchanged stories and gossip, "vo ajeeb tareqay se soo raha tha tho abdul ne is se pucha ' tum kaisai so rahi ho' mujhe itni hasi aye usney kaha 'baba ankhey band kar key'" (he was sleeping in a weird way so abdul asked him 'how are you sleeping' it was so funny he said 'baba by closing my eyes')

i chuckled hearing about the story of my cousin and uncle, the rhythm of their conversation punctuated by the sizzle of cooking.

Meanwhile, in the living room, my dad and uncles were engrossed in a discussion about the latest news from Pakistan. Imran Khan going to jail with his wife and the upcoming elections were hot topics of debate, each voice clamouring to be heard above the others.

I greeted my family with a warm smile "asalamu alaikum" i said hugging my mom and aunts, "rani oout bhi gaye, wah bhai" (wow the princess has awoken) i laughed again as I helped set the table. It was moments like these, surrounded by the familiar sights and sounds of home, that made me grateful for the bonds of family and tradition that held us together.

After breakfast, I found myself drawn to Zuni again , His laughter was infectious as he toddled around the room, his chubby cheeks dimpling with every smile.

I scooped him up into my arms, revealing in the warmth of his tiny body against mine. We played games and made silly faces, lost in the joy of simple pleasures.

As the day progressed, my older cousins, couldn't resist teasing me once again. She had always been mischievous.

"Hey, Isla, watch where you're going! We don't want any accidents now," she chuckled as I nearly tripped over my own feet while carrying Zuni.

I rolled my eyes playfully, balancing Zuni in my arms. "Very funny, beeha You know I'm just naturally graceful," I retorted, earning a laugh from the rest of the family.

Later, as we gathered in the backyard for some fresh air, abeeha couldn't resist teasing me about my tendency to get lost in my thoughts.

"Earth to Isla! Come back to us," she joked, waving her hand in front of my face as I stared off into the distance.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Sorry, lost in thought again. Must be all that deep thinking I do," I replied, earning a playful shove from abeeha.

Throughout the day, abeehas teasing served as a lighthearted reminder of our bond as cousins. Despite her jests, I knew that she cared for me deeply, just as I did for her. And so, I took it all in stride, laughing along with the rest of the family, grateful for the love and laughter that filled our home.

Towards the end of the day we're all sitting together in the basement, with zuni watching TV, abeeha on her phone and the parents upstairs in their rooms.

I pick up my phone to see a notification

Myra: How's everyone doing today?

Isla: I'm good, just been with my cousins all day. What about you?