8

Minji

I didn't know what to do, I kept banging on the door as her screams only got louder. I had called Dr. Choi to come and help me out.

I was freaking out, I could hear every sob, I could hear the hatred in the way she said my name.

"Hanni!" I called out but I was only returned whimpers of pain. What was going on?

"Stay away from me!" I heard her shriek, my heart was clenching to how scared her voice sounded.

I had to open this door and get to her, she's going to hurt herself and our baby, I can't let her do that.

I was looking around for anything to aid me open this stupid door. "Hanni!" I called out again in hopes to snap her back.

There was no response, only her sobs and whimpers of pain could be heard, I wanted to rip my ears off.

I've heard these sobs before, I hear them every night as I make her mine, but why are they tugging at my heart now?

I could hear her frantic panting, the cries of help only getting worse.

It was all bringing me back to that day. The day I had almost lost her for the first time.

-

"Baby, are you okay?" I looked at her with full concern. It was clear she had cried the whole night, her eyes were puffy, the eye bags were throwing her out in the open.

She couldn't lie to me.

She only nodded as she walked past me, making her way to my car that was parked in the driveway of her house.

I didn't want to push it, but I needed to make sure she was okay. I couldn't take her to school like this.

"Hanni." I called out for her, she ignored me as she kept walking. I decided to catch up to her, I grabbed her arm gently but with enough strength to halt her.

"We can't go to school if you're not okay, it won't do you any good." I said, her back was still facing me.

But I could tell her breathing was uneven, she was trying so hard to not break down. "Hanni, come on." I said trying to turn her around so she could look at me.

"Minji, please. Let's just go." She said, her voice sounded distant. She was pushing me away.

I let out a sigh, I couldn't push her too much.

I know that she would end up exploding, and I wouldn't want her to feel bad for saying something out of anger.

I got to the car, she was already inside buckling her seatbelt. She was facing towards the window, looking at the black car parked there.

I turned on the car and drove off to school. I didn't try to talk to her or try to snap her out of her thoughts that seemed to be drowning her.

I only spoke to her when the car came to a stop at the entrance of the school.

"Hanni, we're here." I said as gently as possible, regardless she had still jumped in her seat.

As we entered, she turned to look at me, I could feel her eyes on my face. When she spoke, her voice was so broken, so conflicted.

"I wouldn't want to marry anyone else, I only want you, Minji. But, they don't understand that." She said, I felt her hand reach for mine that was on the gearstick.

I felt something stir inside of me, at the mention of her marrying someone else. What did her parents want from her?

As I parked on my assigned parking spot, I looked over at Hanni, my gaze hard as I looked at her, her hand still over mine.