Chapter fourteen- Beautiful Battle Scars

Dovelyn's pov
It had been a couple hours since the doctors left. I had fallen in and out of sleep dozens of times.

Until I noticed my arms.
I let out a shocked shriek. How could I have not noticed them before?

Raven was instantly on alert. His eyes followed my gaze and locked on the cuts.

"W-who did this?" I asked weakly. I know I didn't. I mean yea I was sorta depressed but I would never do this. It wouldn't help anyways.

"You didn't do it to yourself?" Raven asked worriedly. I shook my head vehemently. Rage quickly engulfed his eyes as Raven traced the scarring. I had healed faster due to my......other form.

"We will get to the bottom of this. You won't have to be scared anymore. I won't let them touch you," Raven whispered firmly. His tone was so taut yet so broken. It shattered me on the inside. Tears welled up in my eyes.

I really needed to stop crying, that's all I've done lately; so I sucked it up and cuddled into Raven, breathing hard.

Gently, Raven took my wrists and placed feather-light kisses all over the scars that would be no more than a memory tomorrow. (A/N they will heal)

"Beautiful battle scars," he murmured against my skin.

The door suddenly opened and Jen and David rushed in, their faces pale. I jumped a little at the unexpected sound but recovered quickly.

"Why Dovelyn, why?" Jen whispered, years starting to gather in her eyes.

"It's not what-" I was quickly cut off by David.

"What it seems? You tried to commit suicide and you're telling us it's not what it seems?!" He yelled, putting his arm around Jen's waist.

"Get. Out." Raven growled. Jen gasped, turning paler than before. The couple glared at Raven. David opened his mouth to say something but was quickly cut of.

"It was a witch!" Raven shouted, angrily. Jen and David's faces went from blank, to rage, to pity, to complete and utter fear. Jen started shaking viciously, and David gently grasped her and led her out of the room. Minutes later he came back in. Walking to the side of my bed he dropped to his knees.

"I am terribly sorry your majesty. I was worried about you because you are like a daughter to me. I apologize for yelling. It was terribly disrespectful, I am willing to accept any punishment. I beg of you to spare my wife," he said lowly, his head bowed.

"What in the name of peanut butter cookies!" I shrieked, scooting as far as I could into Raven's arms.

"You're his queen, he checked himself before he wrecked himself. He disrespected you and needs to be punished," Raven whispered. I quickly understood, no matter how much I didn't like it, I would have to rule...

But I'd be okay with Raven by my side.

"You are dismissed. I will let this slip up go, but only because you raised me into what I am today. Don't expect me to be this generous in the future if this happens again ," I said sternly, but to be honest....I didn't mean them. I would never punish my own parents. Even if they weren't my blood parents.

My near-death experience she some light on my situation. These people loved me and I had no right to reject their comfort. Blood or not, they raised me and I cherished my memories with them.

"Thank you Queen Dovelyn," my dad said slowly rising to his feet. He retreated to the door but I stopped him before he left.

"Oh and dad?" I said, surprising the two people in the room,"drop the formalities will ya?" My dad smiled warmly.

"Of course Little Bird," he murmured and left.

I sat shocked.
He hadn't used that nickname since I was ten.
I swear my heart leaped with joy.
I smiled as a memory flashes through my mind.

I had a purple sun dress on and a flower crown that my mom made sat proudly on my head. My dad and I were having "tea" but we both knew it was lemonade.

"Thank you father," I said in a posh accent as he poured my "tea".

"Of course, Little Bird," he said brightly. I giggled as he kissed my forehead and sat down in his pink tutu.

I remember that day like yesterday.
Things changed after that.
I'm not sure why but it did.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a doctor opening the door and walking over to the bed. He had blonde hair and green eyes. He smiled at me before opening his mouth.

"You are in excellent condition. We will have your parents sign some papers and you can go get changed after I take off these wires," he said kindly, his bright eyes generous.

"Thank you," I said enthusiastically. Raven got off the bed and say on one of the hard chairs nearby. The doctor began removing wires and took the needle from the crook in my elbow. When he was finished, he handed me a pair of clothes that my parent brought me.

I quickly walked into the bathroom and changed into a red v-neck shirt, black skinny jeans and red high tops. I stepped out of the bathroom and walked up to Raven, who had his head in his hands. I squatted in front of him and gently touched his hands. He looked up and smiled.

"Hey," I said softly.

"Hey," he replied lightly. I took his hands and stood up. He rose with me and embraced me gently. I hugged him back without hesitation.

"I'm staying at your house until you're ready to take your...rule," he said quietly, tensing, waiting for my reaction, but I just nodded.
It was funny he thought I was going to be upset.
No.
He made me feel safe.
I was glad he was going to be with me, watching over me.

"When will I be able to train again," I asked in a small voice. He tightened his hold on me.

"In a few days, you need to rest for a little bit. Then we will make you a bad ass ninja chick that can finally open a peanut butter jar," he said holding in a laugh.

"How did you know that?" I gasped.

"I might watch over you without you knowing," he laughed. I nodded pulling away from him. He looked confused but as soon as I burst out laughing he did too.

"A....ninja?....peanut..butter," I gasped. Tears quickly formed and streamed down my face from laughter.

"My boyfriend is a stalker!" I yelled, laughing harder. I must look like a complete nut right now but who cares. I needed a reason to laugh. Raven quickly turned serious and stopped laughing.

"You just called me your boyfriend," he stated with a smile.

"Yea, haven't you met imaginary bob?" I asked, completely serious. Acting classes paid off. Raven's smile disappeared as he stared at me.

"Imaginary Bob better back off," he said lowly, taking a step forward. I laughed and bolted to the door, flinging it open and running. I heard Raven laugh behind me and start running after me. I past many disapproving looks. I past my parents and waved. Their eyes sparkled with amusement. I made it fairly far before hands spun me around and picked me up.

Raven spun us around as I wrapped my legs around his hips and my arms around his neck, afraid to fall off. I threw back my head and laughed.

I think I'm falling in love with him.