𝟏𝟑

ELSIE

The sound of the phone ringing echoed through the kitchen. I placed the fork on the island and went to quickly wash my hands. After I was done, I wiped them off and ran to the table.

I grabbed the phone. It was Fenix.

Why was he calling? It was not even 1pm.

After pressing on the button, I brought the device to my ear. "Hi!" I said and leaned my hip on the island.

"Are you home?"

"Yes I'm home. I'll be picking up Ian from school in about thirty minutes." I informed him. Fenix rarely called. Maybe something came up and he wanted to tell me.

"I'll be there in ten minutes. We'll pick up Ian together. I'll be going to my grandma's house. You'll go with me." Oh... "I'm sure you're bored at home." He added.

"Okay. I'm making lunch. Tacos, Ian's favourite. You can eat if you're hungry when you get here." I called Yavuz today and told him that he doesn't have to come over.

Fenix barely gave me his number but I persisted and finally got it.

Today I wanted to cook by myself and I was already finishing up.

"I will." I grinned and nodded my head like he was able to see me. I felt a stir of butterflies enter my stomach.

We hung up and I placed the phone down and chucked. I was getting ahead of myself. He just said that he will eat the food I made, nothing else.

I set the plates down on the table and did everything else while I waited for Fenix to get back home. It kind of became like our little routine. He was getting home early almost every day.

And I started to like it.

I didn't mind it. At all.

It was almost two weeks and I have become eager for this time of the day. When he gets back from work.

With a smile on my face, I went to quickly change my clothes. Instead of the pajamas, I put on a pink tennis skirt and a thin sweater on top. It was in pink as well only the shade was darker.

For my hair, I put it up with a clip. For shoes, I wore white sneakers with blue details.

I ran downstairs and just as I stepped on the first floor, I heard the door open.

It must be Fenix.

I bit my lip and waited for him to arrive at the stairs. My palms got sweaty and I took a hold of the railing.

Fenix appeared from the hallway with his phone in his hands. His gaze was on the screen and as soon as he noticed me standing by the stairs, his eyes flew to me.

Today he was dressed in a light grey suit. His jacket was off and the sleeves of the white shirt, were rolled up to his elbows. No matter how many times I see him in a similar outfit, I still got the same reaction. The wedding ring on his finger made my chest ache and feel warmth at the same time.

I nervously smiled at him and tilted my head when he stepped close to me.

He slid the phone into the pocket of his slacks. I was about to move and welcome him but he beat me to it when he circled his hand over my waist and tugged me flush to his body.