𝟏𝟒

FENIX

My mind zoned out as I started at the floor, covered with blood.

"I'll call his parents." Kieran said and tapped my shoulder. The lifeless body of one of the workers was laid on the floor, in his own pool of blood.

He was shoot close to his heart and bleed out.

I just nodded at Kieran not being able to speak. I have seen many deaths but it always feels like the first time. Especially if it's one of my workers.

He was barely twenty-two. Kieran said that he started working here and was sent on this mission only a week ago.

Just when his life started to begin, it ended.

Being in charge of the family meant taking responsibility for whatever happened. And this young man lost his life because of me.

I was the one who had to take more action and establish more safety for my men.

They worked here to provide for their families. For their wives, parents, children. Their difficult situations in life brought them to this messed up world I lived in and slowly ruined them.

His name was Taylor. I don't meet and communicate with all of the guards and workers. Only if needed. That's mainly Kieran's job. But seeing him lifeless on the floor, made nauseousness rise in my throat.

I turned around and rubbed my face in frustration.

I don't know how grandpa and dad did it for so many years. It was life draining seeing things like this happen.

I was brought up to care and protect the people who worked for me. It was one of the first rules I learned. It felt like being stabbed in the chest when you fail to do so.

My breaths got shorter as I walked outside of the warehouse. The moonlight shone on the car and reflected the light on my face.

I looked down at my wrist watch, it was past midnight. The first time I haven't been home after 3pm since I got married. Elsie must be asleep now. It was late.

I saw Kieran approach me again. He was putting the phone in the pocket of his suit jacket.

"Did you call?" I asked.

"He only has his dad. He picked up the phone but didn't really seem to care, he was drunk. Taylor had a lot of burden on his shoulders. He was paying his dad's debt." I slowly nodded my head, not really knowing what to say to that.

"Pay for his funeral and pay off the debt."

"Sure." He walked past me and went to the warehouse where they were about to pick up Taylor's body.

I made my way to the driver's seat and opened the door. Without thinking, I drove off.

After about thirty minutes, I arrived in front of my house. Everything was quiet, only the guards outside. They bowed their heads in respect and I opened the door.

I stepped inside and let out a sigh. I took off my jacket and hung it on the hanger in the hallway.

Quietly, I made my way up the stairs. Only the tiny lights at the bottom of the railing were illuminating the place.