Chapter 14 - Quelling down a burning

Previously...

Deon replied back, unaware of the bright smile that decorated his face which almost blinded Allethea and Elpidius.

Was it humanly possible for anyone to look this angelic?!

***

Elpidius and Allethea stared at Deon speechlessly as Deon returned back to his stoic face as if he never smiled. Sometimes they were creeped out at the wide yet no range of emotions Deon had.

"I see..."

"T-then we'll just leave them here for you Count Hart! Don't mind my brother he is very awkward."

Allethea quickly butted in, leaving the mountains of presents behind for Deon before leaving while dragging Elpidius with her.

Deon looked at the amount of gifts in front of him, there was a lot. His eyes sparkled with anticipation. He always loved free stuff.

'It won't hurt to open one right?'

Deon held up a purple box with bright red ribbons wrapped around it. Inside it was a gold necklace with a white diamond in the middle of it. The design was simple yet it showed off the wealth a noble had since white diamonds were expensive to make. Deon then opened the letter that was attached to the gift, it read out that they hoped that the war hero would get better and they should come over to their house sometime.

'This noble is a part of the noble faction..'

That means he was a part of Duke Illuster's faction. He's definitely not going to their house, he'd probably die the moment he set foot near their estate.

Ten minutes passed since Deon looked at the gifts that were sent to him. So far all of them were just exaggerations and flattery to get him on their side. The gifts were great and all but reading the letters attached to them tired him out as he kept seeing the same words worded differently each time.

"I give up."

Deon threw the last letter on the ground as he read it. Did that person just admit they liked him? No, it's most likely a setup by Duke Illuster since half of the nobles were a part of the noble's faction.

***

"The Imperial Knights have arrived!"

"Oh? Look the Imperial Knights are here! Did the captain send them?"

The Lofty Knights looked at the Imperial Knights who had just arrived with Lianne in the back.

"Count Hardt wasn't lying at all..."

Lianne looked at the burning estate in shock. There were many places broken places in the estate, debris could seen very visibly, the tiles and stone statues were broken, and most of the employees had already fled to the front and were being protected by the Lofty Knights.

(A/N): guys I literally forgot some of the lofty knights names

"Dame Lianne, it is wonderful to see you here."

Sheri greeted Lianne and acted as if there was no bombing and it was just a normal day at the estate. Lianne flinched a bit seeing Sheri again, she didn't know why but Sheri gave off an eerie feeling sometimes like Remember, she wondered if Count Hardt had ever noticed it and ignored it or if he never noticed it.