Chapter 19 - An Unexpected Predicament

Previously...

Deon looked at his hands which were stinging a while ago from the impact of the ground, they weren't stinging anymore. Back then this treatment was common but it lacked warmth, especially with what was going on at that time. But could you really expect anything warm in a locked up room?

***

"Is there any more I should know about? I know there's more than just this."

Cruel looked at Deon who flinched. Deon knew this question would be asked soon since his brother was smart and was originally the heir to the Hardt family. He probably felt that something was off immediately when they met the shaman.

"A few days ago... The God of Death told me that I'd die if I go with a group of people." That should be enough right...

"...The group of people we encountered earlier on our way back?"

"Yes-"

"Haah..."

Cruel sighed. If he had known he wouldn't have disclosed any information on Deon to those people. His dear younger brother was giving him a headache, at this rate he may have grown grey hair earlier than anticipated.

He looked at his younger brother who seemed to be blissfully unaware of his current situation. It made Cruel want to flick Deon right in the forehead.

No, Deon has always been this way. Ever since he was a child up until now, many of his habits and thinking have remained the same. It was only when his split personality took over was when he didn't act like a child.

'Is this what the shaman meant by innocence? Childhood is usually the purest moment of people's lives. No, maybe I'm just overthinking it.'

Cruel looked at Deon who was avoiding eye contact with him. He could notice how nervous Deon was despite his stoic facade. At first, he thought if he distanced himself from his brother maybe, just maybe he could be safe from the duke's eyes but now he has to watch out for another group of people who may want Deon dead.

(A/N): Well... not dead but locked up...?

Bang!

"Count Hardt!"

Allethea and Elpidius barged into the physician's room with teary eyes. They had just heard the news of Deon being stabbed and rushed over right away. They genuinely were concerned over Deon, even if they wanted to coax him onto their uncle's side. Being stabbed is a big deal.

"We heard you were stabbed while apprehending a spy!"

Elpidius rushed over to Deon with Allethea on the other side, checking for injuries. Deon who was being surrounded by them felt suffocated, he seriously was starting to hate this place. Why does he keep getting into these situations? He thought that he'd just get an injury on the arm and it'd be fine but now a bigger mess was caused.

"No- I'm fine-"

"You call that fine?! You're still bleeding even now!"

Elpidius could see blood dripping down from Deon's mouth and nose. It'd make people lose their morale if they found out that Deon was gravely injured even if the public did not particularly like the third hero.

"This must be because of the Demon King's curse."

"General Nemeseus.."

'What the fuck. How did he even get here?! I wasn't even in the hallways...'

Deon mourned for his slacker life that had disappeared from his life yet again. He wondered if it was too late to run away yet.

"I came here after hearing from Duke Illuster that Honorary Count Hardt was here. His Majesty has summoned Honorary Count Hardt."