Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Sage

I let out a breath and sit down on the mat. It's been three days since Leon attacked me. For the last three days I've been coming down here to train, to practice my hits. I will be ready to take him on whenever he decides to show his face again. That coward has been in hiding since the attack.

"You didn't come down with them to get food." Xanders voice fills my head, catching me off guard. I don't think I'll ever get used to that. My heart flutters for a moment but I quickly push that feeling aside. Being soulmates has been messing with my head. When I look at him, all I think about is my father's death. I want to murder him for what he did. Yet, this weird bond makes me crave his presence. Every inch of my body craves his touch. I hate it.

"They leave me food in my room when I don't go with them." I assure him, rolling my eyes as if he was standing in front of me. "Sam always makes sure I eat. Cyrus too. Stop stressing." If that was even possible for him. He made my father a promise to protect me and he's following through. If he didn't have to be in the dinning hall he would be here with me.

"Where are you?" He asks low, using his squad leader voice as if that would work on me.

I debated not telling him and telling him to mind his business. Just to mess with him a bit, because I know he'll come find me. But I also want some alone time. "Where I've been every night."  I stand up and walk back to the dummy. Taking a breath, I shake out my hands and begin again.

"In the training room?" He asks the obvious.

"Yep."

I hear the door swing open, I don't have to look to know it's Xander. He's been in this room with me every night, training me on the mat after the dining hall closes. The only good thing about it is I get to practice fighting someone, not just punch this dummy. I've got better at dodging hits, even though Xander would never actually hit me.

"Just hit me." I say, throwing a punch at his cheek which he dodges again.

"No." He says, stepping to the side when I throw another hit. He swings his arm and I test him, holding my ground. I prepare to take his hit but it never comes, like always. His hand stopping next to my cheek.

"How am I going to learn if you go easy on me." I shake my head and walk away from him. This is useless, I'm better off training on my own at this point.

"No, this teaches you." I hear him walk behind me but I ignore him.

I grab my hoodie from beside the mat and slip it over my head. "How? You won't actually throw any hits. You dodge every hit I throw. Even if I was faster you know what I'm going to do because you sit in my head." I turn to face him basically bumping into his chest. I take a step away, putting space between us.

"It's been helping you. Have you noticed how many hits of mine you avoided? I may not have made contact but I did swing." He's not lying there. I've been able to avoid almost all his hits. But he has been holding back, I need someone to train with me that will actually fight. At this point I'm debating on asking Cyrus to help me.

"No." His eyes darken and I shrink under his gaze. "On the mat." He orders, stepping away from me.  I watch him for a moment while he takes his stance on the mat.