Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

My mother's cries travel through the house early in the morning. I round the corner to the living room to find her sitting on the couch. She was leaned over with her head in her hands. Two men stood beside her, one was young, his eyes glistening as he stares at my mother. His blond hair was brushed back , he wore black flight leathers, and had two swords crossed across his back.

Standing next to him was an older man. His black hair was starting to fade grey, his beard as well. He wore the same outfit with two swords on his back.

"It can't be true." Mom shakes her head, looking back at the men. She notices me in the doorway, her eyes going wide, "Sage..." My heart jumps, her tone... I know that tone, same one she used when my grandmother passed.

I step into the room. All eyes were on me. There could only be one reason why they're here. But I refuse to believe that was it. My father is just injured, they couldn't be here to tell us he's dead. His job wasn't dangerous so that just couldn't be it.

I hold my chin high, "What's going on?"

"Come here honey." Mom pats the spot next to her. I look at the men for a moment before dragging my feet to my mother's side.

I sit down beside her and she wraps her arm over my shoulder. "It's your father..." She starts but her voice falters and she lets out a sob, leaning into my shoulder.

"What happened?" I look at the men. My father was a good man, a healthy man. His job was safe. Nothing could've happened.

"Last night a dragon took your father's life." The older man tells me.

"What?" I jump to my feet, "No that's not right. A dragon wouldn't-"

"A dragon did." The old man interrupts me.

He's alive. I know he is. He has to be.

I just saw him last night. He was okay, he's still okay.

"We're so sorry." The old man says softly but his words fade.

The world stops. Time stops. Yet, they're still moving in front of me. They're still talking, but I can't hear them. Theres a hole in my chest. As if the man took a shotgun and shot me. The pain is equivalent.

He's gone. Just like that. I'll never see him walk through that door again. Never hear the crazy "Fairytales" again. Never hear "I love you."

I jump awake to see the man who killed my father laying next to me. Rage boils under my skin and I quickly scramble out of the bed before I hurt him.

I allowed him to spend the night. God what was I thinking, I opened up to him... We kissed. God what is wrong with me? This man doesn't deserve any part of me. This man ruined my life.

Xander's dark eyes flutter open, his brows furrow for a moment as he wakes up. "Good morning princess." He says softly, but his gaze was intense, concern swirls in his eyes. No doubt feeling the anger flowing through me right now. He cautiously sits up, "You're upset..." He states the obvious, eyeing me up and down.