·:*¨ 🕸 ¨*:·

~Chapter 16~

————
————

Novaria being gone. Edward, Bella and Seth entered the clearing, they saw the aftermath of the battle. The ground was littered with motionless bodies of newborn vampires, their fight against the Cullens and the wolf pack had ended in defeat. But what caught their attention was Jacob, lying on the ground in his human form, his body wracked with pain.

Leah, one of the members and the only female of the wolf pack, walked towards Jacob with a frown on her face. "Jacob, you know I had it!" she exclaimed, her voice echoing in the clearing.

"It was over Leah! Get over it!" Paul retorted. The rest of the wolf pack quickly gathered around Jacob, picking him up carefully and carrying him.

"Bring Jacob to his home!" Sam ordered them, glancing at Carlisle "I'll take care of it later." Both of them exchanged nods before Sam trailed behind.

Bella's heart ached as she watched Jacob being carried away, his pain evident even from a distance. Edward comforts her, before their attention was soon drawn towards something else.

"Seth?" Edward's voice caught the wolf's attention. Seth had stayed behind, he was still in his sandy wolf form, his eyes filled with worry. "Why are you still here?"

Seth whined, a sound filled with anxiety and unease. The rest of the Cullens approached him, trying to understand what was causing his distress.

"Jacob is going to be okay, Seth." Carlisle said, his voice soothing and gentle. "He's strong, he'll heal fast. You don't have to worry."

But the silence that followed told a different story. Edward had read Seth's mind and is eyebrows knitted. "He wasn't only worried about Jacob." Edward said.

Seth looked down, unable to meet their gazes. "It was also Novaria." Edward's voice barely above a whisper.

The Cullens exchanged an unsure and confused looks. But the mention of her name seemed to affect Seth. Alice raised an eyebrow "Novaria? Was there something happened up the mountain?"

"And why is he worried about her? There has nothing to do with her." Rosalie added, but also confused. "She isn't on our sides."

Edward took a paused for a moment "He imprinted." They seem surprised by that, confusion crept on their faces. Alice blinked "I- imprint?.." Edward nods lightly, glancing at Seth.

"'It's dangerous.." Rosalie commented, a small sneer. "The consequences could be disastrous." —— "It's not just the danger that worries me. It's the fact that it's forbidden. The Volturi will not take kindly to this." Alice added.

Bella interjected "Nothing is dangerous.." She had learned about imprinting from Jacob. "I mean... we all know that Seth didn't choose this. Imprinting happens for a reason. It's not something he can control."

Rosalie rolled her eyes, obviously not convinced by Bella's argument. She turned away dismissively, muttering something under her breath. "You of all people defending this, Bella? It's not my problem anyway." Seth glared at her retreating figure.

But then, Alice froze and the attentions all on her. "The Volturi guards... they're coming.." Her eyes wide.

"How much time do we have?" Carlisle asked. "Ten. They're coming in ten minutes." Alice replied. "It's just the four of them."

Everyone looked at Seth, who was already looking at them "Seth, you need to get out of here." Edward whispered to the wolf.

"Why?" Bella asked "He's a werewolf, Bella. They won't be pleased to find out that there might be a werewolf assisted us in defeating Victoria's army." Alice responded.

Bella sighed and glanced at Seth "You're going to be fine, Seth. Novaria also will." Bella tried to reassure him "You need to go and look out for Jake." Seth understood and turned to leave.

Minutes passed as the dense, oily smoke danced lazily against the grass, rising and twirling in intricate patterns. The eerie atmosphere was broken by the sound of a dead voice murmuring from within the mist.

"Hmm." The voice echoed, sending a chill down their spines.

"Welcome, Jane." Edward's voice cut through the stillness, his tone cool and courteous. The Cullens, along with Jane, Alec, Demetri and Felix had come to a stop, facing each other from a distance.

Jane's eyes flickered to the girl standing behind Esme and Carlisle, her expression blank as she addressed her. "I think you forgot one." Her words were clear and commanding, demanding an answer without greeting them. "Your name."

The girl's eyes shifted nervously, her body trembling as she replied, "B- bree." She gasped out.

Jane's lips curved into a smile, but it was far from warm. "Bree." she repeated, her tone cold and calculating. Carlisle spoke up, breaking the tense silence. "She surrendered."

"Surrendered?" Jane's eyes narrowed, her gaze shifting to the girl again. Felix and another shadow exchanged a quick glance. Edward shrugged, "Carlisle gave her the option."

Jane's features hardened "There are no options for those who break the rules." Her eyes locked onto the girl, a silent warning hanging in the air. "It appears that you've done our work for us today... for the most part."

"She broke the rules." Felix interjected, his voice laced with disdain. "And you know the consequences for those who can't stay within the rules."

Jane smirked, her gaze flickering between the Cullens and the girl. "Felix is right. But I am curious, Edward. What made you spare this one?" Her tone held a hint of amusement, as if she found the Cullens' mercy amusing.

"She had promised to see Novaria again."

Jane's eyes narrowed at the mention of a name. "Novaria? She has no connection to that girl right there." Her tone was sharp as she gazed at Bree, her eyebrows furrowed in suspicion.

Edward stepped in, trying to ease the tension between the two. His eyes flickered to Bree "She told us they are friends." But Jane remained unconvinced.

"No, Novaria would never do such a thing." Jane's voice dripped with disdain as she signaled for Felix and Demetri.

Carlisle spoke up. Concerned for the girl "Please, let us take responsibility for Bree. We will make sure she is taken care of."

But Jane's expression remained steely. "We don't make exceptions. And we don't give second chances." Her words were cold and final.

There was a moment of tension before Jane's face broke into a slight smirk. "But I do enjoy a good game of... Pain."

With that, Jane used her ability to create illusions and Bree fell to the ground, writhing in agony. The sound of her screams echoed through the forest, followed by a deep growling and a high-pitched keen.

"I want to go home." Jane spoke with a hint of amusement in her voice as she turned to leave. "Take care of that Felix." She added, knowing full well what he was about to do.

The Cullens stood helplessly, unsure of how to react. It was too late to save Bree as Felix had already squeezed her neck and ripped it off. The sickening sound of crunching and snapping filled the air as Felix threw the lifeless body onto a nearby fire.

"Alec, find Novaria." Jane's voice cut through the silence, the final command before she disappeared into the darkness.

————