·:*¨ 🕸 ¨*:·

~Chapter 26~

————
————

Novaria stood in shadows, her gaze fixed on Edward and his human, Bella. Her lips curled into a faint smile, but her eyes betrayed a maelstrom of emotions - hatred, fury, and a flicker of regret.

"Fancy seeing you here." she drawled, her voice calm. "I know it's only been a fortnight, but it felt like a purgatory of torment." Her steps echoed softly as she approached, her small frame barely disturbing the undergrowth.

Edward's eyelids fluttered, his gaze meeting hers. Skepticism "It's... good to see you again, Nov." he replied haltingly, his voice a hesitant whisper, trying not to cause trouble just in case. "What brings you here?" 

A brittle chuckle escaped Novaria's throat. "I came to settle a score." She smiled half innocently. Edward stayed silent for several seconds as he noticed something.

Novaria sounded almost exactly like... Victoria. Novaria's childish voice hung in the air with a tantalizing drawl, now low and undulating, its rhythms reminiscent of a whisper in the darkness. It slithered out like a seductive serpent, teasing and toying with the listener's senses, like Victoria's.

"Something isn't right..."

Edward's brow creased, a puzzled expression etched on his face. "I thought..." He hesitated, seeking the right words. "All matters have been concluded, and we have also stopped bothering you."

"Indeed." Novaria agreed, her voice chillingly calm. "But i have to claim my final piece of the puzzle."

A knot of uncertainty gnawed at Edward's chest as he glanced at Bella. "We need to leave, Edward." Bella whispered urgently, her voice tinged with desperation.

Edward's lips tightened into a thin line. "I know, we will." He shifted his gaze towards the small figure standing a few paces ahead of them. "Novaria." he began cautiously "We don't mean any harm here, i know, you too. We're simply sharing a private conversation. And we must go now."

Novaria raised an arched eyebrow and smiled faintly. Her curly hair danced in the gentle breeze as if mocking their attempt at distraction.

"Of course." Her voice was as sweet as honey, yet carried an underlying edge of authority. "I won't hold you captive. After all, I have no sway over your lives." A glimmer of hope sparked in Edward and Bella's eyes, but it was quickly extinguished by Novaria's next words.

"However, I have to satisfy something before you leave." She stepped forward. "And don't worry, Bella, your existence is off my menu anymore." She chuckled, glancing at Bella.

Her gaze hardened as it shifted towards Edward. "Did you hunt?" she asked.

Edward's eyes narrowed, unsure of where this line of questioning was leading. "Yes, with my family." he replied skeptically.

Novaria clasped her hands in feigned delight. "Perfect. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you lose steam while I..." she paused dramatically "..avenge my sister's death." The words hung heavy in the air.

Edward's brow creased in confusion at her words. His mind racing at the mention of Victoria. He has no idea what made Novaria like that again all of a sudden. He assumed that everything had been forgiven and settled weeks ago.

"Novaria, I don't know what you're talking about." Edward protested, a faint tremor in his voice. "That was over. I thought you were already at peace with Victoria's death. And we also, already had forgiven each other, even my family, and Seth."

Her jaw clenched slightly at the mention of that name again. But she regained her composure. She emitted a faint chuckle, her eyes glimmering with mockery. "You're right." she nodded. "Not entirely." She added.