Chapter 10 | Keefe

"You...like me?" 

Keefe heard Sophie reply back. His heart raced when he opened his eyes. Meeting her shocked face, he slightly nodded. His face tensed up when she blushed and he released a careful breath. 

"Yes, Sophie...." He meekly answered. Choosing his words carefully, he continued. "Ever since you were covered in baking-soda and vinegar from chemistry. Ever since you stayed at my side when I was at the nurse. Ever since the sleepover...." His heart poured out his confession while his mind raced.

"Keefe-" She tried.

"I don't just like you, Sophie... I love you." He interjected, before she could say anything.

He watched her sit there - burning red - analyzing what he just revealed. Eventually she spoke, saying, "But, I hope you remember what Grady said?" Of course he knew, it replayed in his mind every time he thought of confessing. Grady sealed her fate for dating and he had no chance. But maybe- just maybe...

"Of course, I don't want to pressure you. Even if you're not looking for a relationship, Sophie, I'll always love you." He quickly answered back and looked deep into her honey-brown eyes. She shut her eyes and Keefe waited in anticipation.

"Keefe, you're so sweet and a great and charming guy but-" She started and held is hands, waiting for him to meet her eyes again. Looking at her again, she saw heartbreak in her face.

"My dad set a line for me and dating, and... I'm not sure if I'm willing to break his rule. I don't want you to wait forever, you're perfect boyfriend material for some other lucky girl.." His heart shattered, but he wasn't going to give up just yet.

He opened his mouth to speak, but then, second guessing, he changed the word to another before he whispered. "I don't want another lucky girl, I want you... Plus, we know you don't always follow the rules, right?" He pleaded, hoping he was getting through to her. She was his lucky girl. Maybe even he was the lucky one.

"Yeah... I love you Keefe, I really do, but-" She paused again, tears welling in her eyes.

He turned away and gazed out at the sunset. The ride had reached the peak and they were at the top of the wheel. He whispered again, this time softer, more meek. "What if we crossed that line? Would you do it?" The last bit of hope was attached to those words. Ready to be cut with the sharp knife of rejection.

Her words were caught, as he slowly drew closer again. This time inches away from her mouth. "Answer me, please." He pleaded, desperately searching her eyes.

"I- I don't know...maybe?" She replied. His warm breath rested on her face as he drew closer and closer, almost a hair away from her face. He tried to searching for permission, begging even.

She took a deep breath and carefully nodded. Without hesitation, he pressed his lips against her soft cherry ones. Her honey-scented shampoo filled his nose and he tasted hints of cherry on her lips. He passionately kissed her, with drive and determination - but also with hope and love. Love fueled this kiss. Filling her with all he had left of it. He gave her his every last drop of determination, to prove his love for her. When he finally broke away for air, heartbreak clouded his eyes.

"I-I'm sorry..." He mumbled, cheeks still tinted red.

"For?" She questioned, still dazed from the kiss.

"You told me you didn't want a relationship, yet I was a fool and kissed you anyways." He sighed, beating himself up.

"You're not a fool, in fact- I'm glad you did...." She replied.

His eyes shot up in surprise.

"Yes, I am. I love you Keefe. Thank you for giving me my first real kiss."

"So... are we- a thing?" He mumbled, still blushing.

"I'm not sure-"

"Of course, we can go at your own pace. It doesn't even have to be official." He assured.

"I think I'd like that" She smiled, resting her head on his shoulder. She giggled when he blushed and sighed.

"This is still a friendship?" He asked when his face went back to normal.

"Mhm, or maybe a situationship." She said with a wink, as the ride came down to a close.