she's all I wanna be

Camille 

Camille 

Day one, One day. First day of training camp, I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous but I know I got this. A feeling of darkness overwhelmed my chest as it began to feel tight. I had to prove myself. I had to prove who I was and why I was here. 

I did my hair in two braids before putting on my slides and grabbing my training bag, heading out into the lounge. The cool light illuminated Nika and Azzi's faces as they waited for me to leave, the others had already left since they wanted to get a longer warmup. I think a couple wanted to meet with the trainers before to talk about their health. I met my trainer yesterday, her name is Molly and she specialises on me and a couple other of girls who have had knee injuries. 

"you ready," Azzi said, the corners of her mouth lifting into a genuine smile. 

"then'll ever be" I replied with a mischievous grin, putting on a confident front. 

"atta girl" Nika's accent poking through her words. 

***

We arrived at the stadium, the luminescent lights illuminated the court as the giant posters of famous UConn players hung up on every corner, it brought a joyful mood as I listed each player that was hung up. The stadium was quite big and had amazing facilities. the girls spread around the court all performing their warmups, most were just taking shots or running some layups.

I watched as I took off my slides and tied my Nike Lebron NXXT GEN basketball shoes to my feet. the best shoes ever.  I made eye contact with a familiar blonde, she stared me dead in the eye as I finished tying up my shoes and stepped onto the court, grabbing a ball on the way. Then I noticed not only Paige's eyes were on me, but everyone's were. It was like I had 50 eagles looking at me observing my next move. I was prey that they were feasting on. I know what they are doing, so if they want a show I'll give them a show. 

I smirked at the blonde girl, she rolled her eyes. She knew exactly what I was playing at. She jogged over to me and raised an eyebrow.

"Cam, you don't need to do all this" 

"yeah, but I want to" I smiled and she reciprocated. 

We walked up to the 3-point line, ball in hand. 

"check" I passed.

she passed it back, the girl started guarding me mimicking every movement I made. I was dribbling down the right side, she tried to steal but I passed the ball behind my back, landing in my left hand. I laughed as she nudged me in my shoulder a little bit.

"foul" I called

"oh well," she laughed. she was being normal again thank the lord. 

I did some of my well-known handles and managed to get in front of her, I took the opportunity to drive to the basket. I felt her presence close behind me, In my mind I was thinking that I should just charge her and put it up. As she caught up to me and we were running side by side I went to take my two steps, she positioned herself in front and just as I was about to make contact with her she bailed. resulting in an easy goal for me. I looked around to see everyone nodding their heads, I then looked back at Paige who wouldn't even look at me, she seemed frustrated and I don't even know why. I swear it was all fun and games two minutes ago.