Chapter 16: Of Trials and Heroes

"Would you care to tell me where you had been last night, Harry?" Dumbledore asked, holding Harry's gaze.

Harry sat stiffly. He'd received a summons from the headmaster the next day, requesting a private meeting to continue their Voldemort lessons. Harry's immediate reaction was to ignore the letter given what he now knew about the headmaster, but he knew he couldn't do that. He couldn't make it obvious that he knew anything and he needed Dumbledore to find Riddle's horcruxes. He knew what the horcruxes were, Riddle had told him, but Dumbledore had them hidden somewhere. He only knew of two, the diary and the ring, and they were in Dumbledore's office, but they were destroyed and useless to Riddle. So, he resolved to act like nothing had changed.

"I'm sorry, sir, I just went for a walk around the lake. I needed a break from all the...tension in the school," Harry said calmly. "I hope you understand."

"Of course, my boy," Dumbledore said. "However, I don't think I need to impress upon you the danger that threatens you, even here."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, keeping his face blank despite how badly he wanted to react.

"I cannot have you wandering outside these walls, do you understand?" Dumbledore said, staring at Harry sternly.

Harry held his tongue against what he truly wanted to say and just nodded. They held each other's gaze and Harry frowned minutely when he felt a prodding in his mind. He realized the headmaster was using Legilimency on him and instantly did what Snape had been teaching him. He pretended he hadn't noticed anything and let simple, unimportant memories float around his mind, occasionally allowing a semi-important one of him discussing the war with Ron and Hermione pass by. He sat stoically as Dumbledore searched, inwardly relieved when the man eventually retreated.

"Very good," Dumbledore said, shifting the heavy atmosphere. "Now, have you had any success with our Professor Slughorn?"

"Unfortunately, no, I haven't, sir. He dismisses me anytime I mention Riddle," Harry said, realizing he'd have to come up with something to keep Dumbledore appeased and from knowing he knew the truth.

Dumbledore frowned. "Well, I must admit, I am disappointed."

Harry felt a twist in his stomach, making him feel guilty for disappointing the headmaster. "I'm sorry, sir."

"You understand the importance of this task?" Dumbledore said, his serious tone back. "We cannot win this war without it. You must not fail."

"Yes, sir. I promise I'll get it," Harry said and Dumbledore smiled.

"Excellent. I have faith in you, my boy," the headmaster said and, again, Harry forced himself to not react. "Now, to the real reason I asked you here this evening. I have another memory I wish for you to see."

Harry sat up straighter, interested. What else could he learn and how would it fit into both Dumbledore's lie and the truth?

He walked over to the Pensieve at Dumbledore's gesture and watched the memory fall into the basin.

"In this memory, we see Tom pursue his collecting obsession and how far he was willing to go to get what he desired," Dumbledore explained.

Harry nodded and entered the Pensieve, landing outside a large, stone house with a blue door and perfectly manicured window planters. He was standing next to a young man who wore clean, smart robes, making him look quite professional. He held a bouquet of wildflowers and adjusted his tie before knocking on the door.

The door opened to reveal a short, overweight woman with her hair in a beehive and thick, overly large round glasses. Her dress was a glittery red to match her garish eye makeup, and she held a black, feathered boa around her shoulders. Her eyes lit up when she recognized Tom at her door.