Chapter Sixteen- Evan

A/N: Warning. This is an emotional chapter, I teared up while writing this. I listened to Say Something by A Great Big World while writing this, it fits for this chapter.

"Gah," Evan yelled while watching Sammy drive off down his driveway. Throwing his hands into his hair he angrily turned around to see Maci filing her nails.

"I don't know why you're so upset, he was annoying."

"He's not annoying! He was hurt by what you said to him. Why do you have to be such a bitch Maci?"

He watched as she gasped, holding her hand up to her mouth. "How dare you?"

"How dare I for telling the truth?" He angrily yelled while walking past her into the house.

Feeling anger bubble up into the pit of his stomach, he suddenly hit the wall next to him, making a small hole appear in the wall. Groaning, he sat down onto the couch while staring at the coffee table in front of him, feeling like a terrible person. "God I hope you're not this mean around the babies, because if that's the case you can be a single parent."

Closing his eyes he tried to block out Maci's voice, wishing it was Sammy's sweet voice instead. He wished he wasn't so scared about being with him, he wished he hadn't let him go. He wished Sammy knew he was falling in love with him.

When he felt the couch dip he looked up to see Maci slowly sitting down next to him. She was quiet for a while until he noticed tears were slowly making their way down her cheeks as she asked, "You love him, don't you?"

Looking away from her eyes he stared blankly at the wall while whispering, "Yes. I do. But that doesn't mean I'm going to abandon you."

"I can't be with you if you love someone else Evan, that's not fair to me. It's also not right for your daughters."

Glancing over at her, he tried to imagine having a life with her. He tried to imagine his daughters running around the yard, Maci entertaining guests while he grilled hamburgers. However no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't picture Maci in his life.

"I'm sorry," he whispered while gently taking her hands. "I really wish I could say I love you, but I just can't. You deserve someone better than me Maci, you deserve someone who will actually love you. I will always be there for our daughters, because that was something I did. I'll always take responsibility for being their father, and I will never love them any less."

"That's good because AH!"

Evan watched as Maci suddenly screamed while she held her stomach. "What's wrong!?"

"Something... something isn't right..." she whispered while they both looked down to see the front of her pants covered in blood.

"Oh my god," Evan said while reaching for his phone. After dialing 911 he anxiously waited for the ambulance to come, as Maci was still screaming in pain.

When the ambulance arrived he got into the back, while paramedics were trying to keep Maci conscious. "What's happening... what's wrong?" Evan suddenly yelled when he saw Maci's eyes start to roll into the back of her head.

No one answered him as they were trying to start her heart, while he grabbed her hand. Feeling tears run down his cheeks he deeply cried when he saw her suddenly take a deep breath when they got her heart beating again. Slowly glancing over at him she weakly smiled at him while whispering, "Take care of them. Don't let them turn into trouble makers," she said while nodding down towards her stomach.