Chapter 13 My Sweet Strawberry

WARNING: LANGUAGE BECAUSE YEAH...
•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

L had called Watari and told him to come pick your group up.

"Come on Misa it's time to go," you said to the upset girl.

"I'm not getting in that car until someone tells me where my Light is!"

You sighed, not wanting to show her the college boy, but opened the car door anyway. Misa peered inside and saw her beloved boyfriend leaning on the other car door's side, unconscious and badly beaten.

"Light!" The blonde shouted and jumped into the car.

You were about to climb in as well, but a hand on your shoulder stopped you. You turned and saw L.

"We'll be walking," he said sternly and closed the car door.

You were going to complain but decided against it once you saw the look on L's face. It was still a bit angry, but there was something else mixed in. Was it guilt? Pain? Worry? You really didn't know. You nodded and watched as the car drove away.

L had already started walking so you had to jog over to him. After catching up to the man, you noticed that he was being rather quiet and concealed. In fact, the whole street seemed to be silent. It was, indeed, very odd considering it was a warm Saturday night. Rarely any cars whizzed by and only a few people walked the streets. Neither one of you spoke a word, but you stole glances at the detective every once in a while. However, his look was the same each time you looked at him; his raven hair drooped over his eyes and his posture was as bad as ever. His hands were shoved in his pockets and he kept his head lowered, focusing intently on the concrete walk way.

Many minutes had past until you both reached a large mansion on the quieter side of town. L had mentioned that sometimes he spent the night at his getaway house... But you never imagined this! The house was white with a neatly tended garden. Shrubs towered by the door and lined the pathway to the house, accompanied with millions of beautiful flowers and bushes. Black iron gates circled around the large dwelling, keeping unwanted visitors from coming in, and security cameras could be seen on different areas of the property. You were still in awe as L put in the passcode that opened the gate's doors. You followed L as he walked down the cemented path and unlocked the front door with a key and another passcode.

Soon you found yourself sitting down on a cozy sofa with a cup of (favorite drink) in your hands. You didn't recall when you sat down on the sofa, nor when you got your drink, but you just guessed that you had spaced out.

L came from another room, what you believed was the kitchen, and plopped down on the sofa; keeping some space between the two of you. He didn't look at you; his only interest seemed to be his cup of tea. You took a small sip of your beverage, trying to think of something to say in order to make the atmosphere less awkward, but L beat you to it.

"What were you doing with him?" L asked, his voice deeper and harsher than normal.

"He just wanted to tell me something and then all that happened..." You tried explaining.

"What did he do to you?"

You paused, remembering the dreadful moments, "I don't want to talk about it."

L was quiet, for he knew what Light had done and what the boy might have done if L hadn't found you sooner. The air seemed thicker at the moment, almost to the point where you wanted to go outside and take a breath of fresh air.

"Miss (y/n), do you love me?" L asked quickly. The sentence made you stop for a minute.

"W-what?" You asked, a bit taken back from the random question.