Chapter Twelve

I wait for my father by the BMW dealership, feeling anxious. I mean, he is my father. I've spent 16 years of my life in the same house with him. But it somehow feels like he is a complete stranger.

"Jessica!" I hear his voice before I see him.

"Jonathan," I say, watching him step out of the car.

"The name is Dad."

"Sure." I roll my eyes.

He leans in for a hug, but I settle with a handshake. He doesn't hide his disappointment, but I couldn't care less.

"It's been long. Did you lose some weight?" He says it like it's a compliment.

Pompous jerk!

"A dream come true, huh? You don't have to deal with a fat daughter anymore."

"Jessica!" He scolds.

I shake my head and make my way inside, leaving him to follow behind. As soon as we enter, a man who looks to be in his mid 50's comes to greet us. By the looks of it, he knows exactly who my father is. He looks over to him for approval after every word he utters. My father, on the other hand, is in full business mode. Straight posture and commanding voice as he explains to the man how he wants to buy the best car they have for his darling daughter.

I roll my eyes at everything that comes out of his mouth like the bitter teenager I am.

"So, what can I show you? Are you looking for anything in particular?" The man asks me.

"Not really. Just a metal box on top of four tires and a wheel on the inside." I say sarcastically.

I know I'm taking my frustration out on the poor man, but I just can't help myself.

"Excuse my daughter. She's usually polite." My father says, shooting me a glare.

"And how exactly do you know how I usually am?" I arch a brow.

"Let's not do this here." He says through gritted teeth.

"Any car will do, Sir," I say as nicely as possible, smiling sweetly at the man.

"Sure. We have the latest model..."

I tune him out. My mind goes to the redhead and Liam. I can't believe Emily said all those things to me. She sounded almost certain that Liam would hurt me. And why did Ellyn have to be so beautiful? Of course, they dated. How did I miss that? I shouldn't even care, but I do. God, I really do.

"So?" The man says, and they are both staring at me.

"Hmm?"

"What do you think about this one?" He points at the latest model, silver BMW x6.

It's love at first sight. It's a beautiful car. But I don't want to give my father the satisfaction of seeing me excited.

"Yeah, it's cool." I shrug.

The man shows me the interior and explains its features.

"Do you like it?" My father asks.

He is bewildered that I am not overjoyed right now.

"Yeah, sure," I answer.

"Nothing impresses you, does it?" He shakes his head. "Your mother was the same."

I don't even want to respond to that, so I pretend like I didn't hear him. The dealer lets me take it for a test drive, and I fall in love with it even more. I am impressed by its ease and grace, but I remain nonchalant. After filling the paperwork and arranging a pick-up date, we head back to the car.