Goodbyes Aren't My Thing

*Sierra*

The drive to the airport was silent.

Casey was the one driving, her hands clenched on the wheel so hard I could see her white knuckles.

Neither of us was looking at the other.

I held back a sigh. The flight left at 11 pm, thankfully, so Casey and I didn’t have to worry about other things, such as my mom worrying about where I’d gone.

That is…until tomorrow morning.

I looked up from my lap and glanced outside, only to feel my heart jump into my throat in shock. 

We were already at the airport.

Casey drove down the driveway into the airport, and I looked straight ahead. There were two signs: The one on the left read ‘Drop off’, and the one on the right read ‘Parking’.

Casey didn’t even hesitate. She took the right.

I let out a breath that I didn’t realize I was holding. I guess that I thought Casey would be too upset to walk me inside, but I deep inside I knew she wouldn’t. Casey was a true friend through and through, and no matter how hard it would be for her, she would take me till the last and final point.

We didn’t speak at all as she parked. As we got out and took my luggage. Even as we walked towards the airport.

Now, as we stood across from each other, my baggage checked in, in front of the departure gate, it was finally time for us to part ways.

Well, crap.

Casey was staring at a point on the ground like it was the most interesting thing she’d seen in a while. She decided to break the fragile silence between us.

“Well,” she said, her voice monotonous, “Don’t forget me while you train to become a ninja.”

I rolled my eyes. “Case, don't be stupid. You’re unforgettable- in a good way,” I added, smiling.

She shuffled her feet, still looking down. “Yeah, well…just in case you do…in case the IPKA people brainwash you and make you a mindless soul sucking drone or something…I, uh…here.” She pulled something out of her pocket. I saw a flash of silver, and then she opened her palm.

It was a ring.

I reached out wordlessly and took the ring from her hand. It was a small band of silver, nothing extravagant, but it had a looping swirly engraving in the middle that went around the whole ring. Looking closely, I realized with a shock that the swirly engraving was just the letters CS again and again, looping and connected throughout the whole ring.

It wasn’t fancy, and it wasn’t studded with diamonds.

It probably wasn’t even real silver.

But it was beautifully and utterly perfect.

“Case…” I whispered, overwhelmed with emotion.

"So there was this guy - when we were at the mall and you were trying on stuff - and he worked with engravings and crap like that and um, yeah, I thought, hey, why not, you know?,” she said quickly, still shuffling her feet and looking down. “And I know it’s not that fancy, either, and to be honest this is really cheesy and you know that I'm anything but cheesy but I guess I just—”

“Hey.” I said. "Shut up. I love it."

She finally looked up, and I could see that her eyes were shining with tears.

Mine probably were, too.

We looked at each other for a moment, trying to memorize the small details in the other person’s face. Her small button nose, fierce but beautiful brown eyes, and the shape of her mouth.

Honestly, I’m not sure who through themselves at the other first.

Although, I do believe it was mutual thing.

“I swear to the moon, if you don't call me within forty-eight hours I'm coming to hunt you down,” she muttered in my ear, holding me tight.

I choked out a laugh, feeling stupid for the tears in my eyes. “Yeah, of course,” I whispered back, holding onto her equally as tight. “And I promise to call every Friday every week after that. D’you remember what to tell the pack when they find out?”

“Every word.”

“I’ll miss you Casey. So, so much.” I whispered, tightening my hold on her.

“Yeah, me too.” She mumbled. Despite her glassy eyes her trademark smirk was still in place.

I slipped the ring on my finger and grabbed my suitcase. And with one final squeeze of her hand, I started walking away.

“Hey! Don’t forget to call!” I heard her yell out.

I flashed her a thumbs up, laughing.

And with one final wave, I turned and began walking to the gate.

I could feel her eyes on my every step of the way.

As soon as I walked through the gate, a man in a uniform jogged up to me.

“Miss Brimingwall?” he asked.

I turned in surprise. “That's me?” I replied, turning around.

“Hi, I’m Myron Haynes. I work here for the airport. And you, I believe are to be one of the three next interns for our nation? Congratulations. Here, let me take your carry-on.”

He held his hand out for my backpack. Wordlessly, I handed it to him.

“Now, if you are ready, come with me, please. You have been given a special seat in first class. Are you ready?”

I glanced back at the doors. I couldn’t see anything behind me.

But that’s why I have to move forward, right?

“Yeah,” I said, taking a deep breath. “Yeah. I’m ready.”

♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥

Thanks for reading!! Please do comment and let me know how I'm doing, guys.  Thanks!