The Best of Both My Worlds?

*Sierra*

The sun was beginning to set when I stumbled outside with my ‘luggage’—a medium sized duffel bag which contained a few pairs of clothes, toiletries, a wad load of cash, makeup, and small backpack, just in case.

Casey followed me suit, grumbling about her limited wardrobe.

Unfortunately for her, going on a top-secret mission meant to blend in as much as possible, and Casey’s wardrobe was—well, exactly not that. From her neon leggings to bright green elbow socks, and shimmery blue skirts, ‘blending in’ was very hard to accomplish.

Because of that, I had to (nicely) ask her to tone down her wardrobe to neutrally colored jeans and t-shirts (of which, naturally, she did not own many), to which she grudgingly permitted after a few minutes of begging and convincing from my part.

The most awkward part was telling Cody and Nolan what to pack and what not to pack. Although they were actually quite flexible and agreed to whatever I said good-naturedly without any arguments, telling them nonetheless was awkward.

Needless to say, the whole weekend had actually been really awkward between us.

Casey, on the other hand, took it as a personal insult when Nolan decided to tag along. I think she had hoped for some time away from Nolan so she could deal with the whole ‘mates’ thing, but it had all been ruined when Nolan and Cody decided to come with us.

The whole weekend she had been shooting him furious glares and scowls (to which Nolan was very skilled in avoiding) and ranting about him the whole time we had been packing.

My mother on the other hand, was thrilled. Not only was she glad that Nolan and I were finally ‘getting along’, she was also comforted by the fact that Nolan would be there to watch over me during my two week ‘IPKA conference’.

If she was this worried about a two week conference, I could only dream about how she’d react when she discovered my secret mission.

I, on the other hand, had no idea what to think. Part of me was pissed at all three of them for forcing me to let them come in the first place—what was I supposed to tell James and Doreen?—although another part of me was comforted by the fact that Casey would be with me the whole time. And then yet another part of me was terrified for our safety—I don’t think Casey knows the first thing about defense. Then there was the part of me that was touched that they cared enough to risk their lives for me.

And then there was the part of me that was thrilled Cody was coming along for me.

It was mostly my wolf, but I couldn’t deny the little flutter in my heart had nothing to do with it.

I tried to tell myself that he was only coming for moral support for Nolan, but I knew that it must’ve had to do at least a little with me.

And that thought itself sent tingles all throughout my body (and my wolf) that I tried desperately to ignore.

It was futile.

Nolan and Cody stumbled out of the house next, each carrying identical blue and white duffel bags on their shoulders. They were followed by my and Cody’s moms and dads, and Casey’s mom in tow behind them.

My mother was sniffling already, her blue-hazel eyes shining with unshed tears as she followed us to the taxi waiting up front.

“Take care of them, okay?” she sniffled to Nolan as we loaded the trunk.

Nolan rolled his eyes. “Mom,” he groaned, “It’s not like our lives are at risk or anything. We’re going to a conference, not some—some deadly task.”