Chapter 3 - First Day Counts

........................................

YEAR OF PUBLICATION: 2013

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 2.2

.........................................

CHAPTER 3 - First Day Counts

~ R ~

Renee woke up at around five o'clock, having always been an early riser. Her roommates were still asleep, so she silently tiptoed towards the door and took a warm bath. After which, she quickly dressed up, but not without admiring her new Slytherin uniform, and headed for the common room.

"Incendio," Renee said quietly, pointing her wand to the hearth as it lit up. She settled comfortably in a dark green sofa that matched the linings of her robe and tie.

Renee got her standard sixth year Potions book, Advanced Potion-Making, and started to browse through the pages. She found out that she knew most, if not all, potions that were there, and even saw some corrections. She started to mark them with her quill, but then realised that the act would be futile because she won't bother following the book anyway, and she'd just have to go to the library to get 'even more advanced' potion books.

Renee scanned her timetable and was quite pleased with it. She thought about her 'Waterloo', Astronomy, and she was grateful because it wasn't a mandatory subject for the remaining two years, so that meant it was officially out of her worries. This year, having scraped up eleven O.W.L.s, she possessed the liberty to choose the N.E.W.T. subjects that are needed for whatever specific profession she chooses. Renee aspired to be a healer, or anything relative to potion-making. She dropped unnecessary core subjects to make way for pre-requisites on Healing.

In the morning, Renee would have Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. After lunch, she would have double Potions, one with sixth years and one with seventh years (having excelled the placement test the headmaster gave her), then a break. Then she'd have a free period before heading off to her elective.

As for Renee's elective, Dumbledore gave her the privilege to take up Alchemy, which was required for Healing, although he mentioned that she would be the only one to do so in her year, and that left her in an anxious state.

Renee hoped and prayed that her professor, whoever he or she may be, would be... merciful. She remembered the vampire-looking professor yesterday, and prayed to Merlin that it wouldn't be him. Was it Professor Snake? Snate? She honestly couldn't remember.

Renee sighed, thinking of the busy days to come. Just when she was about to pack up her stuff and head off to nowhere in particular, a Slytherin bloke, who appeared to be a seventh year, came crashing through the door of the common room. "Did you have to wake us up?" complained a sickly looking lady in a portrait.

"Sorry," the guy said, not sounding sorry at all. "Hey you, new girl," he called Renee. She merely raised an eyebrow at his arrogance while he continued.

"Just in case you didn't know yet, I'm Aaron Brunfels, a prefect. Our head of house, Professor Severus Snape, wants us all to gather in the common room for a meeting before breakfast. If I were you, I wouldn't leave anymore." he bossily said, as if trying to frighten the newcomer.

"Fine." Renee said in response rather too strongly, though the Brunfels guy didn't seem to notice.

"I shall inform the others now." he declared, leaving with his chin higher than the sky off to the dormitories.