Chapter 24 - Apples And Acromantulitis

"One pain is cured by another. Catch some new infection in your eye and the poison of the old one would die."

― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

...............................................................

CHAPTER 24 - Apples And Acromantulitis

~ S ~

The last time Severus saw Renee was two days ago when she was being tended in the hospital wing, accompanied by the birdbrain Weasley. He had not seen her since and anxious wasn't enough of a word to describe how he was feeling at the moment.

The day after Renee's mishap, Severus didn't expect her to attend her classes as her injury was painfully malignant, and she needed round-the-clock medication in order for her wound to heal. It took him more than five visits to the hospital wing just to ask Poppy how Renee was faring; the Mediwitch has been giving Ms. Moore some healing potions for Renee because he has heard that she preferred to stay in her dormitory rather than the school wards.

By the second day that Renee was absent, Severus was beyond uneasy. It came to a point where the stoic professor waited in the common room just to see if she would go out, causing slight apprehension among the Slytherin students at the sight of their intimidating head of house standing by the doorway. When Ms. Moore came out, he furtively blocked her way, making the girl almost die from a heart attack.

"Is Ms. Capulet not well yet? It has been two days, surely the potions must have taken effect by now." Severus said directly, eyeing the girl in murderous scrutiny.

It took Ms. Moore a moment to recover from fright, but she managed to reply. "Ah-- um, her wound is still wrapped, sir, but she says it's getting smaller-- although the reason why she's absent today is because she's got high fever, sore throat and colds."

The arch in Severus' brow got even higher; why in Merlin's name would she just get sick like that?

"Then obtain the appropriate tonics from Poppy and bring them to her. Do it now." Severus commanded as if Ms. Moore was Renee's maid.

"Y-yes sir," the girl uttered obediently.

Severus walked off and decided to let the day pass. He wasn't sure at first, but every minute he knew that passed-- every minute of Renee not knowing how he truly felt made him miss her, although it took a lot of shortcomings before he was able to realize and admit it.

Get out of there, Renee. I won't bother you. Just get the hell out of there already.

Her beautiful face, her desirable body, her mere presence-- Severus missed them all terribly, and he'll be damned if he'd say that he never wanted to kiss those divine lips again.

A part of Severus felt wretched for aching to be with a bloody student; since when did he become so miserable to go this low? Even just by thinking about it was pitiful.

You are incredibly pathetic, Severus. You have crossed the borderline of sanity and you'll die without succeeding in your endeavors.

But the harsh reality kept slapping him in the face: Severus couldn't do anything now-- he couldn't return to the time when Renee wasn't his lone source of bliss. She was the only one who could make him feel like he has actually got a place in this world and he blew it all off-- not that she felt the same thing.

Seems familiar, don't you think?

•••

~ R ~

Renee didn't know how long she has been lying on her bed; it felt like ages since she last attended a class. In actuality, it had only been three days, yet she had completely lost track of time. Not only was she feeling emotionally drained, but she's been also having this massive fever as well as a throat that felt like it was on fire.