Chapter 25 - Obstinate Recovery

A/N: Behold, another chapter for all of my wonderful, beautiful readers! I'm putting the author's note at the top so that you won't have to worry about reading this nonsense at the bottom. I would like to sincerely apologise for the delay and thank you for your kindness. Your support is what truly keeps me going. I'm on semestral break so if I don't post the next chapter within next week, all you have to do is nag me! I love being nagged lol... I'm really excited for the concluding chapters in this book, and I truly hope you all are too! :D

Enjoy!

....................................................................................................................................

...My heart is wondrous light,
Since this same wayward girl is so reclaim'd." 
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

.............................................................................................

CHAPTER 25 - Obstinate Recovery

~ RS ~

Waking up never felt more torturous for Renee, who was not privy to the number of hours she was unconscious. All she knew upon gaining awareness was that the world felt like falling beneath her feet and it would swallow her up while she was struggling with her throat that was hurting like mad from so much soreness.

Renee put a hand on her forehead, only to find out that she was still burning with fever. If she really did take medication prior to her sleep, it certainly did not improve her condition at all.

What was it again?

Acromantulitis.

Renee has never heard of such a disease, and if she knew this would happen to her, she would've stayed as far away from Angelina Johnson as possible.

It was awful enough that Renee felt like dying, but her situation was even more lamentable because of the additional burden in her heart. She fuzzily recalled Severus talking to her, speaking to her without any tone of disdain, much unlike when she overheard him conversing with Dumbledore, telling the headmaster how much he loathed her company, which of course, was heart-crushing on every level.

Renee was genuinely unsure of what she feels as of now; she finds it senseless that no matter how many times Severus would hurt her, she just could never fall out of love with him. Just when he uttered his apology yesterday, if one could call it as such, she knew that she wasn't angry at him anymore, which was a clear testament of how she truly feels for the man.

I am so terribly fucked.

However, Renee may not be angry at Severus, but she was not keen on talking to him either. She still could not understand why she just couldn't get over the man.

With tremendous effort, Renee turned her head to the side and found an empty chair and a desk with stacks of parchments on top of it. But she almost fell off her bed when she saw a familiar item-- the quill she gave Severus for Christmas was also resting above of a tome, as well as the inkpot that was beside it.

Don't even think about it, Renee. That doesn't mean anything, she pithily told herself.

As Renee found herself mulling over whether Severus had stayed for the night or not, the man walked in with a tray of food, making her heart clench rather painfully.

"Have you been able to rest well?" Severus asked as he put the tray on the desk, shoving the papers aside.

Her being upset took over her so Renee continued to give the man silent treatment once again. Her eyes were focused anywhere but on Severus and she heard him sigh deeply.