Chapter One

(Hi Everyone!

I thought it would be fun to try a story that is a little bit out of my element. This is the first time I've ever written something that is supernatural, so please share with me your thoughts!

Thank you so much! And enjoy (: -Leina)

*Edited 05/01/2018

Nina POV

My entire body was exhausted.

Actually.

It was past that.

I was beyond exhausted and fatigued. My body turned on a permanent state of autopilot. Simple movements were difficult to accomplish and to add a cherry on top, I still had to make my trip back home.

This started as a routine trip. A trip that I've made roughly twenty times before. I had the perfect route, and that route had been burned into my memory. Three weeks was the time frame it had taken me in the past to complete each trip.

But this time...it was going on two months.

Two months! It was insanity.

I had arrived in a new town, one I did not know. A town that was off course but it made for a good escape. I checked into a simple hotel and made my way up to the assigned room. Just as I walked past the door frame my phone rang. There was no need to check the I.D, I knew who was calling.

"Kevia," I greeted my pack member.

"Nina, where are you?"

I sighed at her voice. She was concerned, again. "I'm in a town just outside of Santa Fe." I tried my best to reply in a tone that assured her I was doing fine. Although I knew she would pick up on the underlying emotions the sentence held. Keiva was good at picking up unsaid words.

"Santa Fe? Santa Fe! That's 250 miles off route! What the hell are you doing over there?" And now she was yelling, which was not what I needed right now.

One of my hands ran down my face as I tried to keep my voice and emotions calm. "Keev, I have everything under control." Not really, not at all to be honest, I thought to myself. "I'll be home in no time, I promise." I hope.

Keiva let out a slow steady breath, and I followed suit. We both needed to be in control of our short tempers, especially because we had a lot of people counting on us. We were in a situation that neither of us ever thought was possible, and there wasn't an easy solution to fix it.

"Are they still following you?" She asked in hushed voice.

"No, I lost them just West of the city. I put my scent all over the jacket of a woman that was getting into a cab."

My response made her let out a half hearted laugh. The smile on my face didn't reach my eyes. If she knew who was following me, she wouldn't be so eager for me to ditch them.

Guilt washed over me as I kept that secret. I bite my lip to stop myself from telling her. I couldn't risk the news getting back to the other pack members. They counted on me too much, and I couldn't allow them to worry about something they had no need to worry about. There were more important issues to stress over.

"Only you Nee, only you." Her voice broke me from my thoughts. "We are patiently awaiting your return. We have everything under control but it's not the same without you here. The new pack members...they're getting restless. You're the one they're familiar with, they don't feel comfortable around any of us yet."

This is what I was afraid of. Shit.

Gaining trust of the new members wasn't easy. Especially when it's someone who had been abused in the past by someone they trusted immensely.