Chapter Fifteen

Busted my gut to get this up. It's a bit longer and I appologise so much for the wait. I'm trying to balance everything so yeah. Next update won't be for about a week I'm so so sorry :((((

Gus had never been so scared in his life. He could never remember a time he felt so helpless and vulnerable like he is now, when he felt like a part of him would go missing. His heart was beating rapidly, his palms were sweaty and even his knees felt weak. He wanted to be strong, he wanted to protect her but at the moment even he doubted himself. It was like a raging war in his head. His instinct told him to pull her back to the safety behind him but his knowledge told him that acting irrationally would only get them both killed.

Evelyn was in shock. She was frozen to the ground, her feet glued to the dirt jungle floor as her eyes were wide, unblinking staring at the one thing that tore Angus' life to shreds.

A marozi.

It stood hunched, a low growl rumbling in its chest as it sized Evelyn up. The animal was like a spotted tiger, some giant cat that would tear her to shreds before she would even understand what's happening to her. She knew Angus was behind her, she knew he grew up here and could face every challenge there was but she also knew that there was no taking this animal down, or at least not by mere human strength. Evelyn had never been a fan of hurting animals, but right now she wished for nothing more than some huge gun so she could rid them of this animal and actually live past 23 years old.

"Evy." Gus called out, his voice traveling the small distance to where Evelyn stood frozen, some of her body obstructed by the tree behind her. "When me say, go to home."

He was on edge. He knew that if anything happened to his Evelyn, something at all he would never forgive himself. She was in his protection and he would be dammed if she died, and he would make sure she wouldn't leave him just as his parents had. Too early and at the claws of a marozi.

"Get dagger." He instructed. Angus knew that she understood the instruction as he saw her whole body tense. His eyes were now trained on the animal watching its every move. He had a plan, one that if executed could keep both of them alive, otherwise his Evy would be safe and his fate would be the same as his parents.

The morning had been going so well. After waking up from last night, Angus felt even more connected to Evelyn even though the only thing they had done was kiss however he enjoyed how it was last night. He got to show his dominance over her in a sweet way. He had her go breathless when he trailed his lips over her body and got to watch her squirm from the bliss he had caused her and nothing brought him more satisfaction than knowing her body reacted that way to him. Their whole time in the jungle this morning was one full of pure love and stolen, passionate kisses that has Evelyn shuddering and Gus fulfilling his dominance and he couldn't have been happier, because Evy was happy.

But now, now his dominance was fading as he had room for no errors.

"Promise." His husky voice demanded, low and raw with vulnerability. Slowly he saw her nod her head and he sighed in relief. Slowly, he moved. His feet padded gently around to the other side of the tree and his eyes stayed set on the animal in front of him. The slick fur sat on the skin, reflecting in the sunlight from the orange and brown spotted fur. Its eyes were narrowed with precaution as it took everything in. Evelyn still stood still, not moving or making any threat whereas Angus was moving around clearly the more threatening of the two. It snarled, baring its teeth at Angus taking a small step forwards.

"Evelyn," Angus said quietly, not looking at her as his eyes stayed trained on the predator. "Home, now." His tone let no room for argument but Evelyn still didn't move, instead small whimper left her lips wondering why she was leaving but he was staying here.