Chapter Seventeen

After moving Gus to Evelyn's tent thanks to the help of Tyler and Mike, the two lay in silence, Evelyn on his left avoiding any of the claw marks with Gus to her right, eyes closed and resting. Their fingers were intertwined as they lay in silence, every now and then Evelyn shifting position to make herself comfortable again or to get Angus some more water.

Dan was right. Angus was perfectly fine, just extremely tired and in a bit of pain. The dehydration was what made him so tired and mixed with the blood loss his body had tried to shut down. However now that he was resting, rehydrated and had some nutritious food in him, his cheeks started flooding with colour again and his eyes appeared to be brighter and filled with life.

It was still only midafternoon and Evelyn's heart dropped as she heard the men moving around the small camp space, beginning to pack up equipment and luggage for the early departure tomorrow morning. The expedition had flown by and with meeting Gus, it had felt more like a holiday rather than work and she wouldn't have changed a thing.

Apart from Gus almost dying on her. That she would change in a heartbeat.

The adventures they went on together, the bond they created with one another and the memories they shared. Even now, after spending almost every minute of the days with him, she wasn't sick of Angus. Not one bit. She constantly looked forwards to seeing his messy brown hair and his tall, muscular frame with his caring eyes and kind soul. Angus had made this once in a life time work opportunity into one she would never forgot, with the memories from fear to complete and utter joy.

There was only about 20 hours until her boat departed and she didn't know if it would be with or without Gus. She hated thinking about what happen, how devastated she would be if Angus wanted to stay, however it is his home she would be asking him to leave. She decided then that no matter her feelings, she would make sure Angus was not only 100% sure with his decision, but remained as happy as he had been these past two weeks and not regretting it.

His eyes were closed now as he rested and Evelyn turned to her side to look at him. Despite the darkness of the hair on his body, the tips of his eyelashes were a light blond making them appear shorter then what they are. They almost touched the top of his cheeks and every now and then his eyelids would twitch indicating his sleeping state. She wanted nothing more than for him to open them, to see his brown orbs that looked at her with the look that made her stomach backflip all the time.

But Evelyn wished even more that Angus would come back to the city with her so they can continue how they are now, even if it were just as friends. But she knew how difficult that would be, bringing a wild man into society. Money in her family wasn't too much of an issue, they weren't rich but they had nice things. Her dad is a successful scientist and her mom is working as a part time doctor, but they had also inherited money from when Brad's family passed away a few years back. From guilt of inheriting it, the money had hardly been touched however Evelyn knew her dad would use it for Gus. They were talking about it a while ago and even Brad had suggested it.

But Evelyn also feared Gus moving back with her, for many of reasons. The one most obvious would be that he would hate it. The city is so different to the jungle and it would be hard adapting to the noises, pollution and noisy cars compares to the clean air and peacefulness and tranquility of the jungle. Although Evelyn owned her small house just outside of the city in more of a farm land landscape, even the different animals like cows would be hard to get used to she imagined.

Another fear was that Angus would leave her. She knew his attraction to her was only because she was the one to have discovered him. If it were any other female who was half as nice and tolerant of the language barrier, he would be head over heels for her too. It stung, but she knew it was the fact. Evelyn was scared that when they moved back he would meet someone else and like her better.