Chapter Thirty Seven

The cover above was sent in by @bookishloveaffairs
It was sent in without me asking and is my first ever submission of a cover. I love it so much and it mades me smile because someone likes AWMPI enough to design stuff, so thank you so much you wonderful soul xxx

Angus groaned as he stepped out of the car. The drive had only been two hours long, however with all of the camping gear crammed in Evelyn's small car (they couldn't use the boot and the backseat was tiny), he had to move his chair forwards and lost some knee space. Evelyn groaned too, stumbling out of the driver's seat, not as gracefully as Angus. She steadied herself with a laugh and looked over at Gus. He was standing at attention, clearly he had flinched when she had stumbled.

Ever since the incident with the teenagers at the park, Angus was always on the watch. He always held Evelyn, he frowned when people came near her and was constantly looking out for her. Angus in general was tenser, and it worried Evelyn. She knew how difficult it was and how uncomfortable Angus got in the city, so she decided camping was the best thing to do.

It would be without people, alike to Angus' home and enough to relax him and make him feel as though he is in his element. It didn't take much convincing of her parents as Evelyn hurried to finish her part of the work from the expedition. As of then, Evelyn had completed everything and officially had no job as her dad had hired her for her studies. Now that was all over, Evelyn no longer had a job.

Immediately as the sun hit Angus' skin and as the small gust of wind pressed his skin, Angus felt calmer. There was no one around them, only a few park rangers who once every day do a scout to make sure everything is okay. The smell of soil and forest filled his senses, making his body loosen as he closed his eyes momentarily, savoring the first time he truly didn't feel confined since arriving to the city. He already felt alive and although Evelyn insisted on sleeping inside some bag they call a tent, he was excited to be alone with just her.

"I'm pretty damn excited about this," Evelyn grinned for the hundredth time. She walked to the back doors of the car and got out her hiking backpack, flopping it onto the graveled ground. Angus frowned slightly, walking behind her and grabbed his pack. It was heavier than hers and he didn't want her to strain her back. She smiled up at him in appreciation, poking his hip. He grunted, but a small smile played on his lips.

"Watch it," he playfully threatened, his hands darting out. He grabbed her waist from behind, pulling her body off the ground. She tucked up her legs as her hands grabbed his that are locked around her stomach. She shrieked, a booming laugh following after.

Angus couldn't help himself, he pulled her in closer and planted his lips on her neck. He was in love, fully and utterly in love and he didn't care how unsteriotypical it was of him. He would do anything for her and would always vow to make her laugh.

"Gus," she laughed, her hands squeezing his. Reluctantly, he put her on the ground. She spun on the ground, her hiking shoes crunching the gravel as she braced herself on her tip toes, her hands clutching Angus' upper arms. She closed her eyes, puckering her lips waiting for a kiss. With her eyes still closed, she raised an eyebrow impatiently as she heard a small breathless laugh from Angus. Not even a moment later, his lips pressed against her before detaching. She opened her eyes a smiled, satisfied for the time being.

"We need to head off now." Evelyn said, playfully squeezing his bicep before turning back to the car. "Otherwise we'll get to the site at dark which will suck big time."

Together, they packed the remaining of the stuff, tightened their boots, put their snacks and water on the outside of their bags and strapped up.

It was a five hour hike to the camp following a small trail. Not many people used this hiking track or the camp as Evelyn specifically wanted Angus away from everyone for a break and to escape from reality for the time being. With the issue at the park that made him on edge, the media still had not let up. Since his interview, many more people wanted Angus and wanted his story. It was something Angus felt that because he shared it once, he didn't need to again.