Chapter Forty Two

The banging on the door awoke Angus and Evelyn from their sleep.

The small digital clock next to the bed read 2:03, the bright red numbers lighting the room slightly.

Both Angus and Evelyn woke, eyes groggy and vision slightly blurred from the sudden noise. They looked at each other, the duvet all around Evelyn on her half of the bed and Angus with only his underwear on and next to no duvet. His hair was sticking up in all directions as he hadn't tied it up that night, but he didn't mind. He was used to it.

The banging sounded again, somewhat urgent from the growing loudness of it.

"Are you expecting anyone?" Evelyn questioned, sitting up and moving in closer to Angus. He lifted an arm, putting it over her shoulder and pulling her frame into him. Most nights, he wouldn't find as much of an issue with this but due to everything going on, he was worried for Evelyn's safety about who it was and their business at this time.

"No," he said, his voice low and husky form having just woke up.

The bagging rang through the apartment again, this time for longer and with more force behind it.

Angus got up from the bed, tossing Evelyn one of his shorts lying on the ground to cover herself. She was clad in only her pyjama shorts and an old sports bra to evade some of the heat lingering in the night.

Together the couple exited the bedroom and headed towards the front door quietly. Angus walked a step in front of Evelyn, hiding her body behind his much stronger frame. With each step, the small amount of lighting drew shadows on his skin, showing the prominent muscle tone he has. An arm was out behind him, securely holding Evelyn's hand as if that would protect her.

Slowly, Angus unlocked the door and opened it. There was a person, smaller than him and taller than Evelyn standing there. They are dressed in all black, a hood over their face and a hunched back.

"What do you want?" Angus questioned, standing tall. He watched in surprise as the figure removed the hood, the blonde hair falling loose as he came face to face with Loretta.

"I, Angus. I need to talk to you. To both of you." She stuttered, looking down. Angus felt Evelyn's grip tighten on his hand, his dominant side showing as he felt powerful as Evelyn huddled into the back of his frame for comfort and protection.

"What about?" He asked stiffly. It was too late in the night for this, and he didn't want to danger his Evy.

"You know what it is." She said dryly, yet nervousness filled her voice. Reluctantly, Angus stepped to the side, his hand not leaving Evelyn yet he stayed to she would remain behind him as Loretta brushed past and into his apartment.

"Oh my god," Evelyn spoke under her breath, nervousness filling her body.

"Don't worry about it," Angus tried to reassure her. "There's only one of her, and she's tiny and old."

Evelyn couldn't help but let out a small, disbelief laugh that he would joke at such a serious time. Yet she knew Angus is right. Evelyn was just scared about what she was going to say. They padded down the hall to the lounge room, where Loretta was already sat with a lamp on.

Her face was bare from makeup, her older skin naturally flushed pink. Her eyes looked tired, black bags drooping underneath them. She looked horrible.

"What is this about?" Angus said, getting straight to the point.

"I know you broke into my filing cabinet." Loretta said. "Also, I know you were listening into my conversation with Mick."

The air was silent, Evelyn and Angus' heart skipping a beat. They were sprung.