Chapter 16

Hector's POV

By the gods what had I done? The woman laying before me now dead in my arms was someone I knew was honest and true until her tragic end by my own hand. My body trembled as I looked down upon her body. Holding her tight to me would not make her precious heart beat again. Achilles told me to take her to Troy with me and have her buried as one of our own. Standing and holding Diana in my arms I began my walk back into the palace. Many servants bowed their heads as we passed and finally I arrived in the garden where Diana always was when she was here that is. Laying her down on the stone slab was the hardest thing I had ever done.

"Hector?" I hear my father's voice call out to me but I do not reply. "What did Achilles tell you?"

"Bury her as one of our own, then perhaps the gods would forgive me for her death." I reply in monotone.

I didn't want to be with anyone at this time instead I just wanted to be beside Diana. My head and heart will still trying to convince myself that this wasn't real. This was all a dream I would wake up from at any moment and Diana would be there smiling at me. That didn't happen though. No matter how many times I closed my eyes and prayed her eyes never opened again. Putting my hand on her now chill body I could barely restrain myself.

"She will be prepaired as a royal. Diana will be remember my son but she would not want to you be as you are now." My father says as he walks to my side and puts his hand on my shoulder. "She would want you to be strong for not only Troy but for yourself."

Part of my father's words were true. Something told me that Diana wouldn't want me to be like I was yet that did not stop me. Knowing her death was my fault was something I would never forget and always forget. Taking Diana's hand I put them over her stomach and as I look at her it looks as though she is only sleeping. If only that were the truth.

Paris POV

Watching my brother and father from a distance was hard. I knew that Hector cared for Diana very much yet now he would never see or speak to her again. My father managed to lead Hector away just to get some food and summon servants to prepare her body for burial. That was when I took my chance. With some hesitation I walked up to the stone slab and the sight before me brought me to tears. She looked so peaceful though. Her long red hair was disheveled yes but other than that she looked like the angel I knew her to be.

"Why? Of all the people why did death have to claim you?" I ask her knowing I will not hear a reply from her lips.

Putting my hand on her cheek I can feel her body is starting to grow cold. A part of me froze and no matter what I did I could not remove my hand from her cheek. Anger raged through me, Achilles blamed my brother when it was really his cousins fault! Had he not have disguised himself my brother would have never fought him and Diana would not be lying dead before me. Just then I hear other foot steps. I remove my hand from her cheek just as the servants arrive and bow down to me.

"She was an angel, I pray you help reflect that." I tell them as I turn and walk away from the garden no longer able to stand the sight before my eyes.

Once out of the garden I begin to walk back to my room when a pair of hands stop me and pull me into another room. As my eyes adjust I can see Meg looking at me and her eyes were red a clear sign that she had been crying over Diana's death.

"Meg? You could be killed for being here." I tell her as she just shakes her head at me.

"Just listen Paris, though Diana is dead and I know that Achilles will never move on I need you to promise me that you will force Hector to if need be." Meg tells me as I look at her thoroughly confused.

"What are you talking about? How would I be able to do that?" I question her as she shrugs and looks around the palace.

"You must, after all I don't want Diana to have wasted her life on someone who won't move on and become the great King she knew he could be. Just remember that Paris." Meg tells me and then walks off clearly ending our conversation.

A few hours had passed and now every royal in the palace was dressed in black. Clear to tell we were all mourning Diana. None as bad as Hector though. My brother stood before her body now dressed in a long white Trojan gown. Her hair was all done up as well with a crown upon her head. She looked so peaceful, just like an angel. Walking to Hector I take my place beside him as we both looked down upon her.

"That wasn't your fault, his cousin should not have disguised himself." I tell Hector trying to comfort him but Hector continues to stare at Diana.

"We are both at fault then, yet I am the one who mourns her most." Hector answers grimly.

Nodding I watch as the priest and our father walk to the stone slab and begin the funeral ceremony. Trying to keep my eyes on Diana I notice as Hector takes her hand on holds it tight within his. After many prayers Hector bends down and kisses Diana on her forehead. He whispered something as well but I couldn't make out what he said. That would just be between the two of them...forever.