Chapter 27

Looking into Achilles eyes I could see he was fighting every instinct he had that told him to kill me. Praying that he would follow that instinct I held my stance and prepared myself for anything that could happen. If the blade pierced my skin and he did decide to take my life I hoped that he would do it quickly and that pain wouldn't linger. Closing my eyes I prepared myself only to have the dagger ripped from my hand and thrown to the side, Achilles wastes no time taking me in his arms and kissing me roughly.

"I cannot kill the woman I love." Achilles says putting his forehead to mine.

Looking up at Achilles I see something in his eyes that I don't see very often if at all; fear. For good reason, too though. Coming up from behind me I could hear other soldiers coming and either side wouldn't hesitate killing either of us. Grabbing Achilles hand I try and get him to run but instead he holds him place and pulls me into his arms. His hands come to my head as he holds me in place and kisses me there before whoever was about to show up.

"Achilles we will have time for women later; fight man!" a random soldier yelled out to Achilles.

Pulling apart I could see sadness in Achilles eyes though he masked it from others very well it was as though he would let me have a glimpse of what he would hide from others. Now it was my turn to be afraid. Putting my hand on Achilles face I knew I had to convince him to run away, he couldn't stay here with me if I was going to distract Paris.

"Run, go with your men and I swear when this is all over I will find you." I tell Achilles as I lean in a pres our foreheads together keeps our gaze on one another.

"Shouldn't I be the one telling you to run? You have no experience in battle, what will you be able to do?" Achilles says holding me close to him.

"No time to learn like the present, please just go I can't distract someone from their target if the target stands right beside me." I tell Achilles giving him one last kiss then pushing him gently away from me.

Watching Achilles put back on his helmet weighed heavily on my heart. Even if I could distract Paris was there some cruel fate that would make sure that Achilles would die anyway? All I could do now was distract Paris and Hector and pray that I would be up to such a task. Then again what's life without a little difficulty? Achilles left with the soldiers and though war was going on around me I felt numb and silent. I didn't know how long this battle would last nor which side I truly wished would win for I did not want Paris or Hector and definitely not Achilles to die.

"Diana?" a voice calls out to me.

Turning around I see Hector still in his armor rush up to me and take me in his arms. Unlike Achilles he had no blood upon him that I could see but as he rushed me into one of the halls I saw Paris running our way with his father and cousin in tow. That was never a good sign.

"We need to hide them, they cannot fight." Paris tells mostly Hector.

"The secret tunnel; they could hide there and even escape if need be." I speak up.

"She's right we need to get everyone there as fast as we can." Hector agrees with me as we begin to make our way to the secret tunnel.

Soldiers from every side were fighting as we tried to sneak our way through. Most of them were distracted with the battle thank goodness and we finally reached the tunnel. Opening the hatch I watched as Briseis climbed down then followed by her uncle. I didn't know if either prince of Troy would stay and fight but looking to them I could clearly see they were both struggling with the dilemma at hand. Taking a deep breath I did the first thing that came to my mind. I grabbed Hector and gave him a quick kiss before shoving him into the tunnel. No one had time to re act as I did the same thing to Paris but before I pushed him in I did whisper a message in his ear.

"Don't let Hector come back for me. Get them out of here and safe." I managed to whisper the kicked Paris into the tunnel.

I could hear them shouting protests at me as I took the door to the tunnel and quickly shut it behind me and locked it as fast as I could before leaning my back against it just for extra measure.

"Diana! Don't be a fool they will kill you! Let us back in to protect you!" Hector yells out to me.

"You cannot protect me." I sigh as I lean my head back against the door. "Leave this place and start over again; Troy has fallen so go to a new land, find a new love and marry and have many children! I know I may die here today but that is a risk I am willing to take to save all of your lives. Please just go!"

Yelling that out made me realize that I had in fact started to cry. Taking my left hand I touched my cheeks to find them wet. My tears were a strong stream that was unwilling to stop knowing that I might never see Paris or Hector again.

"Diana, how could I love another?" Hector questions.

"How can you love someone who is as good as dead. Hector I have told you this before I am no princess and you deserve one. Please listen to me, go and leave this place and remember all the good times you had in Troy then rebuild a new city." I call out as I begin to leave the room un willing to hear anything else that Hector may say.

I didn't know if he would say something that would make me change my mind but knowing they couldn't get out of the tunnel on this side did make me worry a lot less. Going back to the courtyard I saw Helen's real husband holding her body close to his. I couldn't tell if he really loved her but from this angle it almost looked like he did.

"Who did this?!" the man yelled as loud as he could to the soldiers.

"The princes woman...that Diana girl!" a soldier yells out.

How in the heck would he know that unless somehow he saw me? I would have seen him though wouldn't I? Just then I feel a pair of arms grab me. I trash forward and try to break free of whoever has a hold of me but they overpower me and drag me into the middle of the courtyard and thrown me down beside Helen's body and her husband. Yep, I knew it. I am going to die.