Helpless

Korra awoke to the soft slanting of the sun on her face through the cave opening. She shifted, her bare feet protesting as she stretched them outward into the chill of the morning air. She drew her knees up to her chest, pressing back into the warmth behind her. A slow, half-conscious yawn took her mouth. Her toes brushed up against something smooth and sleek. Leather, like someone's boot. Korra frowned. Slowly, blearily, she opened her eyes.

An arm was curled around her, warm and heavy. Korra stiffened. Her mind raced back to events the night before. Amon. Amon moving beside her to give her warmth, now it was Amon's arm draped over her, loosely protective. Korra shivered when she realized his knuckles were brushing her bare stomach. In her sleep, somehow she'd moved so that her back was flush with his front, the two of them lying, their frames fitting smoothly together, side by side. She could feel the slow stirring of his breath along the back of her neck. A strange sensation fluttered in her stomach, sending goosebumps along her arms.

Korra slowly lifted her hands, gathering her fingers in his sleeve as she tried to slide his arm off of her. To her surprise, his fist clenched. In one fluid movement, he wrapped both of his arms around her, pulling her against him in a viselike grip.

Korra gasped, struggling. "What are you doing?"

The voice hissed in her ear, "Be silent, and don't move. We have company."

Korra stilled herself. She could feel his heartbeat racing against her back, and alarm coursed through her. Careful to make no sudden movements, she turned her head, peering across the smoldering remains of the fire. The crunch of huge footsteps through the snow outside made her tense. An enormous paw, covered in coarse white hair, came into view, just meters from the outside of the cave. Korra stiffened.

"Wolfbear," she whispered.

She felt a light tug on her ponytail. "Shhh."

Another foot came into view, then another. Korra felt the arms tighten around her, and suddenly saw the reason why. An enormous wolfbear, at least six meters tall at the shoulder, lumbered across the snow. Its great head was to the ground, snuffling around the entrance to the cave, and Korra shuddered when she saw the long, razor-sharp teeth protruding from its open jaws. Unconsciously she pressed herself back into Amon's chest. She heard him inhale, but ignored the reason for it. She clenched her fists, wishing she could launch a fireball at the monster, but she couldn't hold off a full-grown, eight-hundred pound wolfbear with simple firebending. Her stomach plummeted.

But instead of charging into their shelter, ripping and tearing, the wolfbear meandered away, its footsteps growing fainter on the still morning air. Finally, Korra let herself relax... although her heart still pounded faster than necessary with his arms wrapped around her like that.

"You can let go of me now."

The arms released her, and she rolled away, getting to her feet. She glanced around, looking at anything but him. Her eyes landed on the heap of clothes lying beside the fire. Grateful to find they were dry, she slipped on her blue overshirt and boots. She glanced over to see Amon tugging on his tunic, adjusting his hood over his mask. Korra felt the tension sweep through her again.

I'll be bringing you to headquarters to face justice.

Amon meant on kidnapping her. Korra racked her brain for an escape plan. Right now, he'd positioned himself between her and the cave exit. She'd have to fight him. Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself, gathering her strength and readying her muscles for combat. She felt the chi paths within her clearing, preparing for the deluge of bending she would unleash.

"Calm yourself, Avatar. I'm not going to attack you."

Korra froze. She lifted her eyes to his face, scrutinizing him. Was he playing her?