Code

... Epilogue ...

Korra snuggled back against the warmth beneath the sheets, sighing in contentment as Noatak's arms tightened around her. The pre-winter chill had soaked through the blinds of the window, creeping across the sheets and into her thin nightgown. She was grateful for her husband's body heat. He was like her own personal furnace, warming her blood and soothing her aching muscles.

She felt him shift behind her, his breath warm against the back of her neck as he buried his face in her hair.

"I know you're awake," he murmured, his deep voice sending a pleasant shiver through her.

"Mm, only for a few minutes."

He slipped his arms around her waist, turning her over so that she faced him. Korra wrinkled her nose in irritation. "You woke me up."

"Did not."

"Yes, you did."

He smiled, a mix of cheekiness and sleep in his half-lidded golden eyes. "I'm sorry." He drew her closer, brushing his lips along her cheekbone. "What can I do to make that up to you?"

Korra smiled. "Oh, I'm sure you could think of something."

He leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers, kissing her gently. She snuggled up against him, curling her fingers in his silken nightshirt, reciprocating with a soft nip of her own.

"Ah, so that's how it's going to be." With a devious chuckle, he flipped her over, pinning her to the mattress. All sleepiness drained out of her as he met her lips with warm passion, slipping his hands beneath her short nightgown, trailing them up the taut muscles of her stomach, up across her ribs, and higher.

She broke the kiss, gently pushing him back. "Not the time, Noa," she murmured against his cheek. "We've got company."

Noatak propped himself up, elbows on either side of her head, and glanced back toward the door. A tiny figure stood peeking around the threshold, trailing a floppy, well-loved teddy bear. He let out a soft groan and rolled off of his wife, while Korra sat up.

"Kaya? What are you doing up so early, sweetheart?"

Their little girl padded across the room and hopped up onto the bed, crawling up over the sheets to snuggle up against her mother. Her four-year-old eyes, big and blue as her mother's, were sheepish.

"I had nightmares," she whimpered.

Noatak reached across Korra and slipped his arms around his daughter, pulling her across the bed beside him. He brushed her wispy black hair out of her eyes and cupped her cheek.

"Nightmares?" His voice was soft. "What about?"

"Tonraq kept telling me scary stories last night," she pouted, cradling her teddy bear against her chest. "About chi-blockers and scary monsters who can take my bending away."

Noatak stiffened, and Korra quickly came to his rescue. "Well, there's no such thing," she assured her daughter, reaching around to snuggle her against her chest. She stroked her fingers through Kaya's hair. "Where did Tonraq hear those kinds of stories?"

"School. Tonnie's friends said those monsters used to live in the city. Is that true, mama? Were chi-blockers real?"

Korra hesitated, with a quick glance at her husband. Noatak's golden eyes were tight. "Not anymore, honey," she whispered, hugging Kaya tight.

"That's not what I heard," came a snooty voice from the doorway.

Noatak sat up, looking over to see Tonraq, hands on his hips, marching into the room. He sighed.