Chapter 17 - The Spirits Of The Land

*Chapter 17 – The Spirits Of The Land*

Meanwhile back at 43 Auburn Street…

Elizabeth and Veronica were sat in the living room surrounded by various books and hundreds of candles burning, illuminating the room. Suddenly Elizabeth growled and threw the book across the room ‘ugh another spell that didn’t work! Where the hell can they be!’ ‘come on Mother, there’s got to be some kind of spell in here that can trace them, they couldn’t have just vanished off the ends of the earth’ Veronica flicked through a battered old spell book that was resting in her lap. ‘We’ve tried practically all the spells I know and not one has worked. Angelique is almost two thousand years younger than me, how in the world can she have found a spell to conceal herself that well with no loopholes?’ Elizabeth gazed into the fire and thought about Jonah, he would know what to do.

Suddenly a gust of wind blew out the candles, leaving the room in darkness apart from the light from the blazing fire. An ebony wolf emerged from within the flames and transformed into Elizabeth’s beloved Jonah, ‘no spell will locate them Elizabeth. They’re in a place that is guarded by their animal spirits, which means that nobody can find them’ ‘what do you mean animal spirits?’ Veronica looked up at him in confusion. ‘An animal spirit is the animal that you were in a previous life, it protects you. As a werewolf mine is obviously a wolf which is shown on a full moon; both Angelique and Christian have rare, pure white deer as theirs’ Jonah crouched on the floor in front of the fireplace. Veronica shuffled forward towards him in fascination ‘what’s mine Jonah?’ ‘you Veronica, are a fox. This means you’re cunning but also wise. My dear Elizabeth you are a majestic crow, often associated with dark magic and death but also with intelligence and grace’ Jonah smiled at Elizabeth.

All Elizabeth could do was scoff as she rudely interrupted ‘ok, enough with all the animal who har. How can we find the hybrid and the vampire?’ ‘I was just getting to that part’ Jonah growled angrily ‘I followed them both earlier on today up into the forest. Angelique had a flashback of a previous life where my wolf spirit killed her while she was a female deer; well I was also linked to this flashback so I could see Angelique and Christian and the log cabin where they’re staying. As long as we’re in our animal form we can get in’ Elizabeth and Veronica looked at him quizzically ‘and how are we supposed to get into our animal form?’ ‘a spell would work for a short period of time but you wouldn’t have full control over it and sometimes something can trigger it to fail but if you want to gain control over your transformation then you need to meditate every day and imagine yourself as your spirit animal’ was Jonah’s answer.

Eagerly, Veronica crossed her legs and closed her eyes as Jonah talked her through the process of turning into her animal form, she concentrate hard and envisioned herself as a slick red fox with a bushy tail and three brown paws that looked like socks, with the remaining paw charcoal black. Veronica could visualise herself running on all fours until she heard Jonah’s voice shouting her back, she stopped running and turned back to look at him as he held up a mirror. She gazed into it and was shocked to see the fox staring back at her, she quickly ran towards Elizabeth and nuzzled her leg as a sign to give it a try.

Elizabeth sighed and closed her eyes. She imagined herself as a majestic crow soaring above the trees looking down on the world as the people went about their days. For a number of minutes she kept envisioning herself flying with her dark blue, almost black feathers catching the sunlight. ‘Ugh this isn’t working Jonah’ she attempted to say although all that came out was a loud screech, Jonah held up the mirror once more and showed her that she had managed to get into contact with her animal form. Although when Jonah clicked his fingers both Elizabeth and Veronica snapped out of their animal forms and returned to their human forms ‘what the hell?’ Veronica cursed ‘you aren’t in control of your animal spirits, I told you that they need training daily by the use of meditation’ Jonah reminded them to which both Veronica and Elizabeth sighed audibly.