Chapter 7

This is bad, really bad. The sentence bounced around in my head as my aching feet attempted to balance on the tree limb. Who thought climbing up a tree was the best idea? Oh, me. Rodney had let three bullets escape from the gun and realized a laugh while he did so. How this guy managed to be considered my uncle beats me.

"You can't hide up there forever." He called up playfully. I almost didn't hear him over the sound my blood rushing through my ear. Think, Addison think. This wouldn't have been as bad had a I grabbed a loaded weapon, I should have gotten a knife too. Stupid me.

I awkwardly looked around the trunk and down at the mad man below. Come on Addison, you've been in tougher situations. My lungs screamed in protest at the amount of air I forced into them and my head throbbed. From this point on I will always answer my door with a shotgun pressed against the wood, I don't care how freaked Spencer gets.

"Come on down girlie!" He yelled. "I promise to make it a fair fight!" I could feel the laughter that bubbled up in his throat even though I was to far up to hear it. I don't have the slightest clue of how I'm gonna get out of this. If I go down and fight I could lose the baby, but there's already a good chance that I lost it anyway. Just thinking that sent a sharp pain through my chest. It hurt far worse then any of the injuries I've ever had. I pushed the god awful thought out of my head and focused on getting out of this alive. Weather or not I'm still pregnant wouldn't matter if my head got blown off.

After taking a deep breath I weighed my options.

1: Climbing down? Okay, lets say I made it to the ground without getting shot, I might be able to fight him off enough to run. But he outweighed me by at least 50 pounds and I'd be too worried about defending my stomach then knocking him out.

2: I could try and move over to the next tree. Though that idea was a little redundant. Lets go from being trapped in this tree to being trapped in that one.

3: I could try and wait him out. Now when I say wait him out, I don't mean waiting for help; I mean getting him to use all his ammo so his gun is useless. Now this could work. All I had to do was piss him off enough to shoot but be fast enough not to get hit. Easier said then done. I didn't get a good look at the gun he was packing but it wasn't very large, more then likely it held a magazine of about seven or eight bullets. He already unloaded three so that left me with five to worry about. That is, if he doesn't have another clip in his pocket. At the moment my body was facing the opposite direction of him. Hiding behind the trunk. All three of my options had a good chance of ending in my death or serious injury.

"Come down or I'll come up!" Now this might not be as bad as it sounded. The branches I perched on had a hard enough time holding up my weight. And, as I mentioned before, he had 50 pounds on me and there is no way in hell he could get up hear without breaking the wood and falling on his ass.

"Come and get me!" I found myself calling down to the man. I risked another glance down to the ground to find him pushing the gun back into his pants before he grabbed the branch closes to the ground and began climbing up the tree. I really hoped that we were still in Virginia. If so, then Spencer will get here a lot faster and maybe I wouldn't die. There's no way in hell he'd come alone, that's more my style.
Rodney was about eight feet off the ground when I looked at him again. He was using both hands to climb and it didn't look like he could stay in the tree without both. It looked like a good time to start moving into the next tree while he was busy. My feet began to tenderly moved to step onto the branch that reached over to my tree like it was offering me safety. With one last look at the man who was trying to kill me I quickly ran/fell into the next tree, wrapping my arms around it's trunk. Why I didn't do it like this the first time beats me.

Leaves and sticks tumbled through the tree and bounced off Rodney causing him to look up and focus his attention to me. He reached for his gun only to stumble and almost fall from the tree. He quickly steadied himself.

"Where the hell do you think you're goin'?" His voice was shaky as he attempted to stay in the air.

"As far from you as possible." I moved my way around the other trunk and did the same thing for the next tree until I couldn't get into another tree and then started moving my way towards the ground after made sure he couldn't see me. I knew I didn't have much time, there's no telling if he started climbing down when I started moving. It took me about five minuets for my feet to reach the ground and I had to stop myself from stumbling as pine needles poked into the gashes on my feet.

"About time." His voice sounded from behind me. I turned to faster then I should have only to come face to face with a loaded pistol.

"Well shit."