Chapter 11

Chapter 11
Cassandra

1988

"Married?!" I shout in shock as Johnny and Steph have Jacque, the boys, and me in the boys' dressing room at our first venue in Los Angeles– the first stop on our tour.

"Yes, married," Steph smiles as she shows us her left hand where the beautiful yet simple engagement ring sits. "Last night at the courthouse. We got a marriage license."

"You're looking at the new Mister and Mrs. Johnny Gill Junior." Johnny smiles at the boys.

"Wallace-Gill." Steph corrects.

"Wallace-Gill." Johnny smiles wider.

"Well I'll be damned," Mike laughs. "You got the old hag to marry you, J.G!"

"Shut up." Jacque slaps Mike's head harder than she normally would. I can tell she's as mad as I am.

"Congrats, you guys." Ralph hugs Steph and Johnny. Ricky, Mike, and Ronnie follow suit and hug the newlyweds.

"Are you telling everyone?" Ricky asks.

"No. We want to wait until after the tour. So don't tell anyone. We'll tell Brooke but that's it. I won't even be wearing the ring," Steph answers and then frowns. "I have to call Bobby."

She walks off to find a phone as the boys crowd around Johnny. Jacque and I stare at each other with mutual shock and anger. How could she?

"Why aren't you two jumping with joy?" Ronnie asks.

"Because we aren't." I snap and leave the room with Jacque hot on my heels. We quickly find Steph who is talking a mile a minute on the phone to Bobby.

"...Yeah I didn't expect it either...I don't know. I'm still shocked about it...Completely unexpected...Yeah I'll see you in a few days. You have to come open...No you can't be the best man. That's for Johnny to decide...Yeah you can be my best man...Alright Bobby. I'll talk to you later." Steph hangs up and turns to see us. She smiles widely.

"Dressing room. Now." Jacque snaps and grabs Steph by the arm. We stomp our way to our dressing room where I slam the door.

"What's your problem?" Steph asks.

"What's our problem? Our problem? What's your problem? How could you marry him?!" Jacque snaps.

"You've been the main one talking about how we don't belong here yet here you are marrying Johnny!" I yell in a whisper. "What about us? Don't you think Mike and Ralph has asked us to marry them? Even if it's mostly playful, they beg everyday for us to marry them. Have children. But we dismiss it because you keep telling us to!"

"I know and I'm sorry, but I felt it. I felt like it was right. Like it was what I was supposed to do. And I keep getting feelings of things that may happen during our jumps in time– the time we don't remember. They keep getting stronger. I just couldn't say no," Steph says as she looks at her hands. She looks up at us with an innocent look that she has never had before. "I think I do love him. Not as a fan girl from 2017 who wished to meet him in his prime. But as a person. A man. I've never been this happy in my life. Even if I can't remember the last few weeks, I can feel them."

Jacque and I just stare at her. I can honestly say she's glowing. Travis never even made her this happy. No one, nothing has ever made her this happy. Not even her mom.

"When will you do an actual wedding?" I ask and Steph smiles.

"I don't know. Sometime after tour. I might not even do a wedding. I don't care for it. We're married and that's what matters," Steph sighs as she looks her new ring. "He had a ring already. How crazy is that?"